modem sending ICMP packets

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by WSFuser, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

im receieving type 8 icmp packets from 192.168.0.1 which is my dsl modem. my internet connection seems fine, should i leave it blocked?

2. pilotbiffster

pilotbiffster Registered Member

Type 8 inbound is an echo request. I have a rule allowing type 8 outbound and type 0 inbound so that I can ping others, but I let the default LNS rule block type 8 inbound (eg "Stop all ICMP types not allowed by other rules....."). Rule order is important -- you need to place the "allow rule" above the "Stop all ICMP types not allowed...." rule.

I travel 3-4 days a week and am on many different wifi networks in hotels and businesses. I have not had a single connectivity problem by allowing type 8 inbound to be blocked. I did run into a problem with Yahoo mail and Myspace.com when ICMP type 3 inbound was blocked, so I also added a rule to allow that (ICMP type 3 means "destination unreachable").

The short answer, then, is that you should be fine allowing the default rule to block ICMP type 8 inbound.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

im using the phant0m ruleset. where should i place the rules?

4. pilotbiffster

pilotbiffster Registered Member

I don't have the Phantom ruleset, but if it has a "block all other ICMP" rule, you would place it directly above that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.