modem sending ICMP packets

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by WSFuser, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

im receieving type 8 icmp packets from 192.168.0.1 which is my dsl modem. my internet connection seems fine, should i leave it blocked?

2. pilotbiffster

pilotbiffster Registered Member

Type 8 inbound is an echo request. I have a rule allowing type 8 outbound and type 0 inbound so that I can ping others, but I let the default LNS rule block type 8 inbound (eg "Stop all ICMP types not allowed by other rules....."). Rule order is important -- you need to place the "allow rule" above the "Stop all ICMP types not allowed...." rule.

I travel 3-4 days a week and am on many different wifi networks in hotels and businesses. I have not had a single connectivity problem by allowing type 8 inbound to be blocked. I did run into a problem with Yahoo mail and Myspace.com when ICMP type 3 inbound was blocked, so I also added a rule to allow that (ICMP type 3 means "destination unreachable").

The short answer, then, is that you should be fine allowing the default rule to block ICMP type 8 inbound.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

im using the phant0m ruleset. where should i place the rules?

4. pilotbiffster

pilotbiffster Registered Member

I don't have the Phantom ruleset, but if it has a "block all other ICMP" rule, you would place it directly above that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.