Modem Problems - READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ash432, Jan 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ash432

ash432 Guest

Hi, please help me...

Heres my story... for 3 weeks now, my 'ADSL' modem's (WAN) LNK Light won't go on, causing me not to access the internet... so I'm stuck with Dial-Up(56k) which is terrible...

Solutions I tried...

1) Of course, the no.1 thing every1 says 'Ring your ISP' ... yeah done that, tech came out to check lines and the modem, no problem...

2) Tried multiple ways of plugging the modem in ...

3) Reformatted PC but still no luck ...

PLEASE HELP :'(

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If there is no modem light, it is a modem problem. If the light is on and you can't connect, it is a circuit problem. If the light is blinking, you have no connection.

No need to reformat your pc when you can't connect.

If using XP, go to all connections, right click on lan or high speed internet, status, support. If you see 169.xxx.xxx, you have lost your connection at the providers end.

3. ash432

ash432 Guest

All connections? Can you run me thru it like Start > Control e.t.c thanks :)

4. dog

dog Guest

Hi Ash, ;)

Start -> Connect to -> Show all Connections.

dog - *puppy*

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2005
  5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Start, connect to, show all connections, right click on lan or high-speed connection

6. ash432

ash432 Guest

Here.... :| don't look to good rofl

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2005
  7. ash432

ash432 Guest

oh, and the Hacks folder is for CS hacks :p im not a real hacker LOL

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You might want to get support to recheck everything. Looks like you have nothing.

9. ash432

ash432 Guest

not being rude but... that wasn't much help ... :\ so in other words theres 'nothing' wtf do i do then

10. dog

dog Guest

Who's your ISP? Is the modem also a router?

Double Check that the connections are correct; Also double check that the ethernet cable and the cable or phone line are seated properly.

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You could try the repair option located in the same area as status.

And maybe this: http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

You may have a bad Ethernet card if all else fails.

12. dog

dog Guest

13. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

as far as i know, all the lights should lite up as long as the dsl modem is connected...even if the computer is off.

One question is have you changed anything at all in your phone set up? I was suprised when a friend of mine could not connect at all, because he put the little dsl filter on the wrong phone line. I always assumed since they went on the lines to the telephones, that it was just to filter out some audible noise. In his case, the dsl did not work at all until he connected all the filters.

This may seem obvious, but turn the power off on the modem and leave it for a minute to reset it. (the symptoms are consistant with this problem)

or turn off modem reboot computer, turn on modem. does the computer detect it? (you can enable the setting to show connected icon in your icon tray too if you like)

you could re-install your ISP's software.

Still, if the light is off, i have to believe that you are not connecting.

Ron might be right about the network card. i have noticed if you unplug the ethernet cable on the computer end (tell me you use ethernet and not usb!) that the flashing at the modem end stops.

if you use xp hit start>(right click)mycomputer>properties>hardware..>device manager. at the top of the device manager click view>show all. anyway does it list your ethernet card? it will be under network connections something like "Intel 100/10 pro VE..." if it's not there you are sort of in luck because its an easy and cheap fix.

-HandsOff

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.