Modem Or Router With E-Mail Notification Light ?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by wtsinnc, Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

OK, let me start by saying that I am currently using Pop Peeper e-mail notification and I like it except that it is failing several times a day requiring a manual reset.
    The reason for said failure(s) is undetermined.

Needless to say, whenever it has failed I receive no notification of received e-mail or of the failure and nothing indicates a failure short of double clicking on the system tray icon to check status. Resetting the application is very simple but I'm looking for a better solution.

Because I am soon to upgrade my modem (Netopia 2241N), I am looking for a DSL modem or router that has as a feature a front panel e-mail notification light.
    Does anyone here know of a specific brand and model of DSL modem or router, hopefully under $100.00 that has this feature ?

I have AT&T DSL and use their Yahoo e-mail service by choice and do not want to change clients.

Many thanks for any information about this.

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I've never seen this...even on the higher end like business grade network hardware. You'd have to have an application aware firewall..and that's big bucks going to layer 7. While there are some firewalls on the expensive side that are layer 7...and will "handle" e-mail in a special fashion like have spam filtering and spam quarantine...I've never seen any that have some sort of "light" to tell you about e-mail.

IMO you're stuck with notifications of the visual or audible method on your PC or smart phone.

3. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

YeOldeStonecat;

Thanks for the reply and information.

I was thinking this was the reality after looking for that feature for several days and finding nothing.
    A few years ago, I used Microsofts' WebTV, MSNTV it's now named, and the set top unit did have a front panel light that would indicate a new message.

Not a huge deal, but I was hoping...

Anyway, thanks again.

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Ahhh...gotcha, now I see what spurred the though. WebTV...I remember that, never really caught on big.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.