Mobile Security & Antivirus

Discussion in 'polls' started by LoneWolf, Dec 22, 2012.

?

Do you use one on your Android/Smart Phone and if yes, which one?

1. Avast

15.9%
  2. AVG

1.2%
  3. BitDefender

5.9%
  4. BullGuard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. DrWeb

6.5%
  6. ESET

5.9%
  7. F-Secure

0.6%
  8. G-Data

0.6%
  9. Ikarus

1.8%
  10. Kaspersky

3.5%
  11. Lookout

2.9%
  12. McAfee

0.6%
  13. Norton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Quick Heal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Sophos

0.6%
  16. Trend Micro

0.6%
  17. TrustGo

1.8%
  18. TrustPort

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Vipre

0.6%
  20. Webroot

5.3%
  21. Zoner

1.2%
  22. Other (Please Specify)

6.5%
  23. None

38.2%
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Do you use one on your Android/Smart Phone and if yes, which one?

2. c2d

c2d Registered Member

I'm using Kaspersky Mobile Security on my HTC One S.

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I use none but I have used Avast in the past and liked it. I also used Zoner and for a while it was my favorite. The last mobile av I used was Kaspersky and it lasted a day before uninstall. Actually I missed an important client call because I had the phone call/ spam filter pop up which delayed me answering the phone. Losing a $1000 call over a $10 piece of software to protect a $100 phone is not good business. Anyway, I'm ok with no av as I only download and install programs from the Play Store that have a good track history. I don't do much web surfing...for one, the surfing is too slow and secondly I only visit maybe 5-6 sites regularly.

The worst mobile av I have tried is webroot. It kept flagging my MS Bing maps/places (business mobile site) as malicious and would not allow me to access it. I wrote a message to webroot's facebook page and got a response that it would be fixed as apparently webroot flagged many Bing mobile sites....Six months later the issue still had not been resolved. And webroot did not uninstall cleanly which was another pain.

4. LoneWolf

So far I've tried......
    DrWeb
    Kaspersky
    Avast
    AVG
    Lookout
    Webroot
    Bitdefender
    ESET
    Ikarus
    in that order and currently still trialing the latest one.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I have only used Kaspersky and it's an awesome piece of software.
    Totally satisfied with it. (Purchased the paid version) :thumb:

6. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Is this poll about phones or tablets which might not be phones?

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

It says Android which includes all types of devices. :D

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Kaspersky

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Two best I've used are Alyac (Roboscan) & Dr. Web. Both the free versions. I've settled on Dr. Web. But I would have no problem going back to Alyac.

10. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I'm using G-Data currently as it seemed to be worth trying.

I have used about 7 or 8 other ones previously, including Avast, Dr Web, Lookout, QuickHeal, BitDefender and Zoner. I really liked my previous antivirus who's name escapes me and I don't think is on the list, and had no reason at all to change. But, I like trying new software so feel the need to keep changing my antivirus.

I have never been infected, despite downloading a lot of apps from alternatives to Google's Play Store, and accordingly don't place the need for running an antivirus, or to find the antivirus which finds the most threats very highly at all.

11. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Just installed Zoner (Tablet version) on my daughter's N7 that I got her for Christmas.

Is this AV any good? Never tried it before. Also looks to be set it and forget it? Not to many options to mess with. Does is also scan websites you visit or it it just moreso for apps from the Play Store (or sideloading for rooted users)?

Thanks

EDIT: On topic however I use Lookout on my Nexus 4.

12. woomera

woomera Registered Member

i bought an android device last year since then i have looked up some researched on android malware and it seems avast and kaspersky provide's best protection and avast is free so.. i went with it ;)

13. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

Dr. Web - it scans not only apps but all files and has a web shield.
    Tried TrustGo until it updated itself and left behind 400+ empty folders which it failed to clean up and you had to use the Dolphin browser to have web protection.
    Avast is also very good - very light on the battery usage and has a web shield.
    Would use Bitdefender if it had a free web shield.

14. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

None. The latest Symbian of Nokia N8 is hardly a target these days.

15. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

None yet, though I'm thinking Webroot, Vipre or Dr.Web.

16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Kaspersky updated their Android AV and now has more advanced features for theft/tracking, call filtration and engine granularity. AWESOME! :argh:

17. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Comodo Mobile Security

18. Trooper

I may have to try it out. Are you running it? How is it effecting battery life (if at all)?

Thanks.

19. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Two in use here, so can't answer the poll since multiples not allowed, or so I think from the title (which one...).
    Avast Modbile - good GUI, has application firewall for rooted people (=admin rights)
    DrWeb - supplements Avast with its log of applications being installed or updated and alerts on applications such as Air push which you might chose not to install.
    Both run inside Dalvik VM as separate, sequential processes, which might be the reason for no conflicts with two AV products.
    Both, according to few tests posted, have excellent protection.

20. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yep, been using it since like 5 months ago but someone stole my phone a couple months ago and i just got a new Android phone.
    It's pretty good, signature updates takes like 1 second on my Wi-Fi and like 2-3 seconds on my phone data.
    After using it for so many months i don't feel it really uses the battery at all but to be honest i've never paid attention to that. (Maybe it never got my attention because it does not drains the battery at all)

It has some awesome anti theft capabilities, you can take pictures with your phones camera remotely (Front Camera), you can lock it down, wipe, hide personal information, filter sms and calls, hide contacts, detect SIM change and report the number and much more.
    The best thing is that you can track it with or without data!

There are tons of apps out there that can use the GPS to track the phone but some of them either work only if your phone has Wi-Fi or Data, with Kaspersky it works with or without data.
    You can track your phone via SMS as long as your phone has phone signal which is a big plus because there is a higher chance of having a strong signal reception versus data reception. :thumb: :thumb:

I'm lucky i purchased it before they raised the prices, i bought it for $4.99 and now it's selling for $9.99 if i'm not mistaken. BTW they also changed it to a yearly subscription but for me it's well worth it, with so much personal information in a device it only takes 1 stupid thief to screw you up so for me it's really worth it.

PS. If anyone uses or loves Go Launcher like me, i have bad news . . . i think Go Launcher has some serious conflicts with Kaspersky and can cause some of the important features such as anti theft ones to be useless.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  21. encus

encus Registered Member

None.

22. Trooper

Hi Noob,

Wow I may need to purchase this for my N4. Sounds really good. I am currently on Lookout but I know that Kaspersky is rated pretty high with protection on Android devices.

Question, for location tracking, wiping, etc, can you do this via a web browser? You can with Lookout but would most likely want this with Kaspersky as well.

Let me know when you can.

Thanks.

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

You can do it through the browser or through a SMS. Your choice.
    When you do any kind of actions through the browser your phone needs an active data connection to be able to do it so it might not happen right away, that's why i love Kaspersky, i prefer using a SMS since there is a higher chance of having a working phone signal than a working data signal.

The only thing you cannot do through a SMS is what they call the "Mugshot" which is taking pictures remotely from your phone.

24. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

I'm now trialing Kaspersky Mobile Security for Symbian. It works good and has feature parity with the other supported platforms, which is great.

25. LoneWolf

Decided on BitDefender, picked up a two year license for the price of one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.