mobile broadband

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by mjmjmj, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjmjmj

mjmjmj Registered Member

HI
    i have a question about mobile broadband internet service, the ones that cell phone companies provide..

i would like to know how their security compare to traditional NAT routers.

do they provide a static IP or a changing one

do you surf the net anonymously like on a nat router or not.

in terms of security from tracing, hacking and other malicious forms.. which is safer ?

thanks a lot

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Essentially, you can think of these mobile broadband services as functioning much the same as dialup. Each time you connect, you get a new/different dynamic IP address from the service. These services generally do not provide firewalling, or at least not full firewall protection. The one I tried did block a few common service ports, such as TCP ports 135, 137-139, 445 and a few other commonly running services that have been targets in the past of various worms and exploits. So, that's better than nothing, but, all other ports were left unprotected. If you want to insure full inbound scan/port protection, you should run a software firewall on a PC using cellular based Internet services.

3. FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan Registered Member

Do you have a home or office PC with which you can configure a virtual private network (VPN)?

4. mjmjmj

mjmjmj Registered Member

thanks for the reply

i read a couple of articles on the internet that says that the network companies have their own firewalls, so that replace the need of hardware firewall in the usb modem itself..

i am not sure thats right , because i am newbie in any high tec lingo, may be i understood wrong??

if i surf the net using it, is it traceable or anonymously like using regular routers

home pc but the need for security is just as much, sensitive data.

how did you know that the ports you mentioned were blocked and the rest is not..
    maybe i should do that with the company i am with and see??

thanks a lot guys, i appreciate your help

5. mjmjmj

mjmjmj Registered Member

bump
    sorry but i still need help thanks :)

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi mjmjmj

I don't worry about open ports, or being anonymous and that sort of issue. The laptop I travel has the same security software on it as my desktops, but I do use the Verizon mobile broadband when traveling.

From what I've read and the inquiries I've made it's more secure from people intercepting what you are doing, then using an open wireless network, like at an airport or hotel.

Thats the best I can tell you.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.