mks_vir 2005

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mantra, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Guest

can somebody tell me about this progo_O

is fast ? the resident shield?

the update is incremental ?
    has an mail scanner

some opinions

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Mks-Vir 2004 has an email scanner,antivirus monitor,and scanner.Updates are incremental.
    The new program(ArcaVir 2005) has a firewall and registry monitor added.

ArcaVir 2005 is due for release anytime now.
    You may want to wait for that release and try it out.

I don't have the beta so I can't comment on the new version's performance.

4. stormbyte

stormbyte AV Expert

Feb. 1 2005 to be exact :)

Mariusz

5. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I am currently running ArcaVir 2005 (beta) on my box with no issues and it is very light on resources. I have all heuristics set to very high with virtually no slowdown. I do not play games, so I cannot comment if there is any effect on game playing.
    I upgraded fron MKS 2004 and am very satisfied with this AV. Very easy installation and very good protection.

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Administrator

I'd rate the performance roughly similar to mks_vir 2004 on my machine, but stability is significantly improved - absolutely rock solid since it first appeared as a beta release for me and I did have some problems with mks_vir 2004. So that have done a lot of work behind the scenes.

The GUI could use a little work - aesthetic cleanup stuff, minor in the grand scheme of thing, but they lag competitors in this area. On the other hand, you don't (or shouldn't) spend a lot of time staring at it and navigating the interface is fine. There are some typos in the English version, I should send in a list, but again, minor stuff.

Where they don't lag is performance. Scan speed is quick, not quite best-in-class, but right up there. It appears to have a very nice detection record in the very limited circumstances that I've read of - generally uncontrolled amateur tests - my own experience does mimic those basic findings well. They really need to get covered in some of the standard tests for a more objective intercomparison.

Like mks_vir 2004, there are multiple processes with a relatively heavy RAM footprint (30-40 MB) but very little drag on system responsiveness. Updating does not require a passworded account, so that constraint is a thing of the past.

Since I use Outpost Pro, I haven't really looked closely at the firewall that now part of the base package. It's a separate application, so no need to worry about system suite issues yet. At the highest level, a user can set three states - Active, Inactive, or Network blocked. Below that, it looks to be a guided rules based approach with 5 basic threshold settings for both LAN and Internet. The LAN there levels are: full access from LAN, limited access from LAN, chosen services only (recommended level), no access from LAN, no access to LAN. Internet thresholds are: full access, block potentially dangerous services, block all unknown services, block all services except several, and fully blocked. Rules can be set by individual IP or address mask. I'll let a firewall afficianado elaborate further. Let's just say it looks decent, and for an application-based-firewall-guy like me, not overwhelming.

Arcavir also comes with a registry monitor and there a simple explorer style of interface used to adjust monitored keys. There's a default set of keys monitored from the start, and customization is up to the user from there.

Support from both Stormbyte and MKS directly has been extremely good and I did use them extensively with some early problems which were solved with the advent of Arcavir. Although this AV is a relatively new entry to the North American and Western EU market, it's a worthwhile effort and given the price, an excellent value (see Stormbyte for details in the NA market). I own three AV packages (Arcavir 2005, NOD32, KAV WS) and feel very comfortable using any for them in my surfing.

Blue

7. dirtcheap

dirtcheap Registered Member

I am currently running mks_vir 2005 for month. all I have to say is nice very stable and the gui is a little complicate than other anti virus

8. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

can anybody tell me where to buy or download ArcaVir 2005?

9. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

The final version of Arcavir 2005 is due to be released any day now. I am currently running the beta and I must say I really like it. I was using MKS 2004 prior and Arcavir is very stable and effective.
    You can get more info here: http://www.stormbyte.com/forums/
    I believe you need a liscense to download the beta version.
    The final version was due on 2/1/05 but has been delayed a couple of days but you can get more information at the above listed sight.

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Administrator

It should be released very soon, Mariusz over at the mks_vir/Arcavir forums left a short note that the release will be a few days late (Feb 1 was the target date as I recall). The Arcavir website still shows as under construction. Contact sales at Stormbyte, they should be able to assist you if you wish to purchase (or trial) Arcavir - which is essentially the English language branded mks_vir 2005.

Blue

11. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

do you know if it is still possible to get a beta license, also i am trying to decide between bitdefender 8 pro, Kaspersky 5.0 and acravir 2005, i am just sick of norton

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  12. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.