Mix 'n Match AVs?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SG1, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

I've read in these parts about folks using 1 product for an on access scanner, and using another product for on demand scanner: is this a matter of trial and error (or judicial prudence as it were), re possible conflicts?

I ask because I had to drop NOD32 - the on demand scanner began crashing everytime I tried to use it; but everything else including updates worked. I rather miss NOD32, esp. as I'd just renewed the lic. for two years. (The fatal exception OC blue screen lockup etc., when attempting to use the on demand scanner suddenly developed, and may be due to RAM chip going bad)? That's another issue, though.

ButButBut... I then went to/bought DRW, as I wanted an entire AV program that functioned, so that was that, for now. However, DRW's strong approach turns up FPs (and I did e-mail DRW's CEO about that last night and will see how that goes). DRW's heuristic analysis is likely culprit, as I can not open Spywareblaster - I get the Terminate of Shutdown window as choices, if trying to open JC's program to update it.

Yes, certain files and DIRs have been excluded from scanning in DRW, to no avail. So, the questions are:

1) Do I turn off DRW's heuristic analysis, which in theory will allow Spywareblaster to open? But, if turning off heuristic analysis, does that lower the armor against the outside world?

2) For those of you with more exp. than I, in using mix 'n match approach of AVs on one system, do you think I could use the 75% of NOD32 that still worked fine, and part of DRW also? I'm asking your thoughts on this first, as I don't want to blunder in, and merely hope for the best with a possible scattershot approach to AVs.

Many thanks for help/info,
    SG1 (Pat)

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Try this...
    From 'Options > Scan' of DrWeb, uncheck 'system kernel protection'. (You might have to re-boot for this change to take effect.)

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I think I would be worried about useing an antivirus that isn't working 100% You can look through the post's in this forum and find discussion of antivirus programs that seem to work well together. You might have to try a few to get a couple that work smoothly on your computer.

4. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Writing this update to thank folks for their ideas/thoughts/help, and Bellgamin in particular for his suggestion that worked.

So others may know, should the need arise: I disabled Kernel protection in SpiderGuard, and ta-da, I can now >finally open< SpywareBlaster w/out DRW av giving me a window with only choices of Terminate or Shutdown (SpywareBlaster).

Best, SG1 (Pat)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.