misspelled google.com and got redirected to scam site

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by wutsup, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

hey wilders,

just a few moments ago, i accidentally mistyped google.com in firefox(sandboxie 64 bit) and i got redirected to some scam free gift zone site.

i know my computer is clean. could this have just happened by misspelling google?

2. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Sounds like typosquatting.

3. Dermot7

4. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

5. Dermot7

I obviously can't say yes or no for sure, but unless you clicked any links or suchlike on bogus page you landed on then most probably you're ok, but the page itself might have been infected, so maybe run a couple of scans to be sure?
    This is good for scanning individual pages of sites:
    http://vscan.urlvoid.com/

And try and look in address bar carefully in future to see you have landed on the EXACT URL you requested.
    Hope this helps.

6. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

i was in sandboxxed firefox 64 bit. so i dont think i got infected from the site i was redirected too. i scanned my computer with hitman pro and mbam and nothing came up.

but sorry, i have another question, the only reason i got redirected to that fake free gift zone scam site is because i mistyped google right?

7. Dermot7

How did you get there....just from typing address in address bar and pressing "Enter"? Or did you use a search engine and click the top result? Either way you
    were sandboxed, so likely/most certainly clean. Suggest you read about typosquatting and Black Hat SEO also to learn more if you wish. Cheers.

8. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

i was just typing in the address bar.

9. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Prior to posting such jibberish - try to account for any user error on your part. Simple FYI ....

10. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

yes i know that i mistyped google.com, but i was just wondering if i got redirected to a scam site because of mistyped google or if it was malware....

11. GlobalForce

In so many words I'm asking - can you recreate the reason you posted? Nothing less, nothing more ....

12. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

because i was concerned it mightve been malware? and i wanted to see what other members here thought

thats why i asked if i got redirected because of a misspelling of google or if its malware that redirected me.

13. GlobalForce

Didn't mean to tax ya - good luck.

14. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

ok no problem, but what do you think? do you think i just got redirected because of a simple mistyping? i was in sandboxxed firefox (sandboxie 64 bit)

15. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Taking what you say at face value, I would guess you went to exactly the site you typed in rather than being "redirected". If we include in the scope of the definition of malware not taking appropriate care to correctly type in the url you want to go to then, YES, in the context of your question, it was malware. Put more simply: be careful what you may ask for, you may get it.

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

wutsup, perhaps Dermot7 gave you the answer you are looking for, in Post #3.

See Typosquatting Online Appendix - Most Popular Websites and scroll down until you find Google.

In that list, they state that there are 2512 sites who will take advantage of a Google misspelling.

17. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

no i was trying to type in google.com and misspelled it(forgot one of the letters) and got redirected to some freegiftzone dot com website (not exactly that but i forget what it was)

so google.com and the scam site are completely spelled/typed differently...and what your saying is that i typed in something similiar to the scam website when in fact what i mistyped was similar to google.com and not the scam site..

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  18. quintile

quintile Registered Member

Five people gave you good answers, you don't seem to like any of their answers, sooo-

You posted this in the your first post -
    " could this have just happened by misspelling google?"

YES! End of story...

You weren't redirected you went to the site you typed in the address bar, simple!

19. ABee

ABee Registered Member

I'm assuming you've found your questions adequately answered already, but here are a couple of links anyway:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typosquatting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXh-i6UrFAg

No one here can say whether or not your machine was infected. That would depend on many variables.
    I presume you use some sort of antivirus product and keep it updated?
    Do a full system scan. See what it has to say.
    Keep your eye on your firewall logs for a while.
    Be on the alert for any sort of strange or unusual activity within your machine.

Make sure to type addresses correctly before sending from now on. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.