"Missing Windows hal.dll file" TI 8 image restore problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dscrap, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dscrap

dscrap Registered Member

I was trying to restore an image of a hard drive from one system to another. The systems are identical. I restored the image and then rebooted and received the following error message, "Missing Windows hal.dll file". I searched the forum and was unable to find an answer.

I then went back to my trusty ghost boot cd and used gdisk to wipe the MBR (master boot record). The syntax is as follows:

gdisk 1 /mbr /wipe

This deleted allt he partitons on the drive and erased the MBR. I then rebooted with my TI8 restore cd and was able to restore the image again. There were on partitions on the hard drive. When I was finished and restarted, everything was fine.

Is there a way to wipe the MBR before doing an image restor from within TI8?

Thanks

2. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

The error message is due to an incorrect boot.ini file and you can find out the correction methods here.
    A search in Google for 'missing hal.dll' will bring up many answers.
    Good luck and HTH
    John

3. dscrap

dscrap Registered Member

Thanks John,

I know that the problem was the boot.ini file. Thats why I wiped the MBR. It is easier to use a program licke gdisk to clear or wipe the MBR and then restore an image. It would take forever to go through the proccess of repairing it with a Windows reinstall or repair.

It would be nice if there was a feature in TI8 to wipe the MBR so that the error does not occur at all. I was just wondering if there was a way to do it with out resorting back to a symantec application. Do you know if Disk Directer Suite has this feature?

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.