Missing WIN partition after Securezone creation

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kcourtem, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcourtem

kcourtem Registered Member

Last night I purchased TI8 from Newegg via download and installed on my system. I then attempted to create a full backup of my hard drive. TI asked me to create another partition on the harddrive where this backup would be stored. It said that it had to complete 6 steps. It only completed 2 of the 6 and then said that it needed to shutdown and reboot the system. This was my computer's last dying breath. After posting and searching for drives, it simply hangs (it doesn't even make it to the WIN98 splash screen). Neither F8 nor F11 do anything. I rebooted to my floppy with my win98 rescue disk and ran FDISK. When viewing available partitions, it only shows one partition. This patition is what I believe to be the securezone (as it is the same size as the one that I requested TI to make). Problem is, my main partition appears to have been wiped out. The only encouraging thing that I can see is that the created partition shows that it is 32% full. I'm hoping this means that it managed to backup before destroying my windows partition.

Can anyone shed any light on this situation? Is my partition still there but invisible to DOS? If so, how do I get it back. If not, how can I try to recover what''s in the secure zone? (I have no documentation because I purchased TI as a download). I spoke to someone from Acronis via livechat last evening, but the only advice she had was to insert the Win98 setup disk and run fix /mbr. The only problem is that I do not get this option. Windows setup looks at my harddrive and sees that I do not have a viable disk partition and only gives me the option to either create a new partition or exit setup. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Kcourtem,

Welcome to the Acronis True Image Forum.

Not sure whether fixMBR will help in your case. However, this <previous post by Acronis Support> provides a couple of download links for a fixMBR tool (one is floppy based and the other CD).

Regards

3. kcourtem

kcourtem Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll try this tonight when I get home. If this doesn't work, Is it safe to assume all is lost? What I mean by this is: will I have to create another windows partition?

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Sorry, I'm afraid I can't answer that one. Hopefully someone else can.

Regards

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kcourtem,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Could you please send a letter to support@acronis.com with the description of your actions that led to the reboot. Also please do the following:

- Download Acronis Report utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe;
    - Run Acronis Report utility and select the "Create bootable floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive and proceed with creating the bootable diskette;
    - Boot the computer under consideration from this diskette and wait for report creation process to complete;
    - Send the report.txt file from the floppy disk to support@acronis.com with the letter.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.