missing system files

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by tutankamon, Jan 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tutankamon

tutankamon Registered Member

Hi all,
    I had to format my drive, reinstall Windows ME, and all my other programs including TDS3, updated everything. I did a "full system" scan, and TDS reported that some files dont exist. as my computer runs quite well do I need these files?

Attached Files:

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

AGAINo_O What happens with your system Tut you need reformats each time?
    I do what i should not do with a win98se running since early 2000 ... i know i know ... should have been done each 6 months but yeah ...... ahum!

Oke Tut, you might find this thread and the sticky CRC thread on top of this forum very helpfull!
    Just change the paths were possible/wanted/necessary.

3. tutankamon

Hi Jooske,
    No I didn`t format a second time, this is only the second time since I bought my computer. The reason I formated my drive was, I was using Zone Alarm (Free ) for many years, no problems. I received a message to update my zone alarm, so I did, however when I tried to instal the update I got a message saying gld5025( I cant remember the exact number) caused an error in <unknown> but my original zone alarm had disappeared, so I tried to install again, same message but different gldnumber caused a error in<unknown> so I tried to reinstall the old version of zone alarm, but receceived the message you already have a newer version of zone alarm installed. zone alarm will now close. I tried many times but got nowhere. So I installed Sygate PF, then went on the internet, after a few minutes a screen popped up from zone labs saying something like" zone alarm has detected that your computer is set up incorrectly and is closing your internet connection". I tried always of getting rid of zone alarm,and all its componants, but I still kept getting cut off when I went online. I tried to get help from zone labs but the help page said my browser was not configured to accept cookies and this was required to use the page, I reset my browser to accept cookies, went back on line and got the same message, I tried everything. I finaly lost my temper, either I was going to sling my computer into next doors garden, or format my drive and start from scratch, which is what I have done.
    however my question was "Do I need these missing files" I have followed your link and deleted them from the CRC32 list

4. tutankamon

Addendum,
    I have to leave now i`m going to work.

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Glad you made the right choice re your computer, it could have become some free expression model, but then we would have missed you for longer time.
    The missing files might have been on the install cd-rom
    in start > run > sfc > unpack file type in the missing file > it will ask where to get it from, maybe you had it somewhere else on disc or the cd-rom and OK
    close and try again.
    ZA(Pro) should with it's install uninstall any former version itself before installing the next. Somewhere in the directory should be an uninstaller file as well as in add/remove if you need to do it manually.
    In older versions i always had to install it twice due to errors and did over itself -- earch time there were problems with installs so i'm rather used to that.

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Tutankamon,

I only have Windows 98 SE, so I'm not sure about Windows ME.

The file crcfiles.txt lists the files that the CRC32-test of TDS-3 will test.
    By default the file crcfiles.txt contains files for several different OS's, like 98, ME, XP, etc.
    So some of the files listed in crcfiles.txt might not belong on your system.

But I have the feeling (I could be wrong of course !) that there is here something else going on.
    It could well be that there is a sub-directory missing in your TDS-3 directory:
    ... xDynamic\TDS.data
    You need that sub-dir for the CRC32-test to work right.
    Please check your system for that sub-dir.
    If it is indeed missing, don't worry: just add it yourself.
    Have in this respect also a look at this thread:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=19077

Please let us know if that was the culprit.

Cheers, Jan.

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

On win9x series we have command.com for the cmd.exe, and i think originally located c:\windows\command.com or maybe c:\command.com anyway not in c:\windows\system\command.com to name an example from above's screenshot.

8. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

Have for example a look at sysedit.exe
    I don't know where on Windows ME this file is located.
    On my Windows 98 SE system it is in c:\windows\system
    I see on the screenshot:
    File doesn't exist: c:\windows\system\sysedit.exe

By default sysedit.exe is listed in crcfiles.txt this way:
    %WINSYSDIR%\sysedit.exe
    TDS-3 will recognize by itself whether that is (depending on your OS):
    1- windows\system or
    2- windows\system32

This was leading me to the thoughts that the sub-dir
    ... xDynamic\TDS.data is missing (this can lead to wrong alerts from the CRC32-test).

Tutankamon,
    How is sysedit.exe mentioned in your crcfiles.txt ?
    In the default way: %WINSYSDIR%\sysedit.exe ?
    Where on your system is sysedit.exe located ?
    Please check whether you have that sub-dir:
    ... xDynamic\TDS.data

9. tutankamon

Hi all,
    Sorry I took so long in replying, been working.
    FanJ, I had already deleted the line refering to sysedit, so I cant answer that one. I did a search on my computer, and the search did not find `sysedit.exe` on my computer. You are correct, there is no directory TDS.Data. I have done a google search on some of the file names mentioned and found that windows ME dosn`t need some of them, so I have deleted them from the CRC file list. My computer seems to run ok, ( that means I have not had any problems YET!) So lets see how we go.

10. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Tutankamon,

OK, I didn't know which of the files listed by default in crcfiles.txt, do exist on Windows ME.

You said that you don't have the subdirectory TDS.Data on your system.
    That is a little error in TDS-3 Final-version.
    You need that sub-dir to have the CRC32-test work right.
    As I said: nothing to worry about !
    The only thing you have to do is this:
    go to your TDS-3 directory
    go to its sub-directory xDynamic
    make by yourself the sub-directory TDS.Data in xDynamic
    you should now have the following 4 sub-dir's in xDynamic:

TDS.cfg
    TDS.data
    TDS.fps
    TDS.Unpk

Run the CRC32-test of TDS-3 again.

Check whether that sub-dir TDS.Data now contains this file:
    crc32.bnk

Everything is now fine and the CRC32-test of TDS-3 is working again as it should :)

11. tutankamon

Hello again FanJ,
    I have done as you say and created the folder TDS.Data, run the CRC32 test and yes it has created the file ,CRC32.bnk, I have also deleted any file listed in the CRC32 list which I now know not to be a File associated with windows ME, and it seems to be working well.

12. FanJ

FanJ Guest

:D [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.