Missing DLL's

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Claretblue, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claretblue

Claretblue Guest

While removing some spyware/adware, I also removed some shared dll files as well. Now I find that some programs don't work properly. PROBLEM - I don't know exactly which dll files have been removed. Anyone got any ideas?

2. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi there :)
    No need to panic. If you need any DLLS at any time that you think may be missing you can get them from here. If you require any further help of what you may need then just post back

http://www.dll-files.com/

3. Claretblue

Claretblue Guest

Hi Nick
    Thanks for the advice. The real problem is that there is no 'error message' as such, to identify WHICH dll's are missing. Of course, it would be no problem to download replacements but identifying the ones I need is the the crux of the matter.
    Arch

4. dog

dog Guest

Hi Arch, ;)

Re-installing/repairing the effected programs should rectify the problem.

Steve

5. Claretblue

Claretblue Guest

I have tried to re-install and repair the programs, but with no success. My guess is that they were shared dll files already on the computer and not necessarily in the programs. But I could be wrong . . . .

6. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

You need to remove the program, reboot, and reload. Still having problem? You may have deleted critical windows components. Note sure why windows file protection in WXP didn't replace those missing items. You may have to bite the bullet and reload windows on top of your C partition, then reload the other programs.

Repairing windows can be tricky for a novice PC user. What are those problem proggies?

7. mccarob

mccarob Registered Member

Are you using Windows XP by chance (and if so, do you have your Windows XP cd?) If so, we can help you do a System File Check, which will look for missing files (including windows DLL's) and put them back on the system if they are missing.

If not, a repair install is always an option. In Windows XP a repair install is pretty much a breeze, and 98 isn't to difficult either.

8. Claretblue

Claretblue Guest

Hi All
    I was just reading something about that System File Check and I thought I'd check back here first. Yes, I have Windows XP and the original CD. Not sure what a 'repair install is thougho_O

9. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Run the System File Checker (SFC.EXE) to verify that your newly installed operating system contains the correct versions of all important system files. Click to Start/Run and type the following command on the Run line:

SFC /scannow

Hit OK. SFC will then look for possible conflicts caused by incorrect versions of dynamic link libraries and other important system files. (Note: You must either be logged in as Administrator or as a member of the Administrator group to run SFC. You may also be asked to insert your setup CD.)

System Restore is ON by default. You may want to use it to return to a previous configuration. Continue to go backward in time (restore point) till the problems go away.

I would advise that you post a list of programs that are non-functional because of the repair.

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

11. claretblue

claretblue Registered Member

Hi All
    I ran the System File Checker with the original XP disc and everything seems to be working properly again. Many thanks to all who helped.
    Arch

12. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi claretblue :)
    Your more then welcome! Nice to see you have become a member as well

Best regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.