Mirror Mirror....

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lynchknot, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

looks like there's a newly re-branded AS out there but differing results (looks nicer than Microsoft's -I ran back to back). PC world states:
    - they don't mention the two apps look almost identical - just different graphics and placement. I'm wondering if Counterspy has it's own database. I guess I can go back and read their website more thoroughly

I never see any reported spyware using MS-AS - I only see a few cookies using Spybot. I decided to try this new one but realized it looks a lot like MS

http://img153.echo.cx/img153/849/coun24wl.jpg

http://img244.echo.cx/img244/236/mscan6pj.jpg

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Lynchknot, see this post for a little more information regarding CounterSpy.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

3. lynchknot

rats.....I should have known. I ran a search of the forum for "counter spy" :p

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi lynchknot.

Sunbelt was a partner with Giant Anti Spyware prior to MicroSoft's buyout of Giant.
    That's why the three programs look so similar.
    Below is an excerpt from the SunBelt website.

How Come Microsoft Updates Sunbelt's CounterSpy With Spyware Definitions?
    Sunbelt is not "licensing the code from Microsoft". Microsoft acquired our anti-spyware business partner Giant Software. There is a whole story here, but in short, this is what Microsoft states on its website: "Anti-spyware solutions require definition updates-signatures of known spyware and other unwanted software-that are necessary to keep the solutions up-to-date. Because of a legal agreement between Sunbelt Software and Giant that preceded the Microsoft acquisition, Microsoft will provide spyware signature updates to Sunbelt through July 2007."

There is a CounterSpy forum over at Computer Cops also.

5. lynchknot

Thanks. I'm finding all these anti spyware apps practically obsolete. This is the first time in..........actually I think, ever - that these apps actually found something under my normal browsing routine. As I stated, Spybot only finds cookies that are immediately replaced visiting one of message boards (with ads) I frequent. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that maybe it's due to using an alternative browser and/or my surfing habits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.