Mint 18.2 Release

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Arvy, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

Anybody else install 18.2 stable yet? The download links for 18.1 work if changed to 18.2. Looks good to me.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I thought it was currently in beta still......

3. fblais

fblais Registered Member

18.2 is now officially released all flavours: cinnamon, mate, kde and xfce.

4. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

Last time I looked the download pages were still showing 18.1 links, but changing any of the URLs to 18.2 works fine for any of the mirrors I tried. As might be expected, the downloads themselves already getting slow.

5. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Which one is best? I have used
    cinnamon lately?

6. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

Somehow I knew someone would ask that question. :) There's a fairly decent comparison here. Using Cinnamon myself as the easiest transition from MS.

7. boredog

I installed Kubuntu When on my sisters computer windows install took a dump. Then she got a new printer. She like to print. And so I had to get that working. I tried to sneak booting her computer from a USB to Cinnamon but it confused her to much. She is turning 68 this month so you can understand why. I am going to install this new build on my old laptop. What I like about Cinnamon is it is lightning fast.
    P.S You are right about the very very slow download speeds.

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I download by torrents & verify much faster.

9. boredog

My ISP said I can not have any torrent programs on my machine.:cautious:

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I've kept a Mate Cinnamon on pen for quite sometime and it's been a dream to work with especially when needing to access a borked windows registry on occasion or other maneuvers necessary since paralleling is helpful for that task with it.

11. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

Is your ISP aware of the Windows 10 equivalent in its own default updater settings and made everybody disable that too?

Certainly agree with your liking for Mint Cinnamon. Just wish I could find a really good Linux financial management program replacement for Intuit.

12. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Not on my old machine.
    Cinnamon uses about the same resources as Gnome 3.
    MATE and XFCE are much faster.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Same here... on my 8 year old core 2 duo laptop, Mint Cinnamon struggles to do Netflix video for example... it's almost ok, but just a bit sluggish. I'm sure on a more powerful machine the video would be fine....

14. boredog

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Why are you linking to an article that is 15 months old in this context?
    Mrk

16. boredog

Because some people are still using a much older version on pen drives, which might contain the backdoor.

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It might be helpful if you would also post that exact version which holds a backdoor.

Good thing for me I only use it on an offline setting to fix good ole windows when it acts up.

18. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

Either I've misunderstood your comment, or there appears to be some confusion between hacking of the Linux Mint web site and possible "backdoor" issues in some Mint distributions themselves. They definitely dealt with and resolved the former issue immediately. As for the latter, it's not exactly clear what distribution or distributions are thought to be at risk. The linked article seems more speculative than precise about that. Do you have more specific information about Mint 18.2 or other versions in particular?

19. boredog

Appears only Linux Mint 17.3 was effected and for only one day last year.
    This is from their blog. Like I said, it's not a big now only if people have for some reason are using that build downloaded on that date. What I get from it and could be wrong is that if you did install it and just upgraded, the back might still be there. Per authors fix.
    http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994

20. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

@boredog -- No, the particular problem mentioned by that blog item is definitely not still there. It was only ever present in a compromised Mint 17.3 edition that was made available via misdirected download links during that one-day (February 20, 2016) period before the Linux Mint web site hack was detected and fixed.

21. boredog

Ok so you have to admit if someone is still using a USB with that back doored version, it is not a good thing, right?

22. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

Well yes, I guess I would have to admit that using a compromised version is probably not a good idea. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.