Minimum Software Requirements for doing Desktop Publishing

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jesse_zach, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jesse_zach

jesse_zach Registered Member

Does nyone know the Minimum Software Requirements for doing Desktop Publishing? o_O
    Thanks!

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. Beef

Beef Guest

Jesse, your question is lacking as to your meaning of "Requirements".
    Since the word Software is mention shall we stick with that. Desktop publishing is rarely needed by the average user and just as rarely used by the average user. Not many Users go around publishing. Usually "Word" does the job fairly well for most people. An for those who need more than "Word" there are numerous Desktop Publishing programs out there an most are by some standards considered expensive.
    Microsoft Desktop Publishing is as good for most people as about any other program.
    But do be careful if interested in off-brand programs. Many such programs do not contain all the required programs to produce truely "Pro" documents. You may find yourself having to purchase expensive add-in's that cost more than the publishing software.
    The Desktop Publishing program used by myself costs in the range of $600 and comes with everything but the kitchen sink but has the abilty to draw the sink and publish the design with added copyright. The same program is going up in price to $900 by the end of the month. Its well worth the cost for someone interested in publishing Books, newsletters, even small newspapers.
    Also, be careful, professional printers prefer pdf......make sure any software you purchase can produce pdf. An the "save feature" is an absolute must have. Its sometimes weeks before I can return to a project an I want it the same way it was left. There is also a matter of "Stortage" if you need to put projects away for several years.....or perhaps share projects with others worldwide but not on a network....or on a network.
    Perhaps you can now see why "Requirements" need to be better explained by yourself. Desktop publishing can be simple or complicated. Its best to keep it as simple as possible an far less expensive
    Again, for most people just plain Microsoft Desktop Publishing will surfice.
    On a side note its suggested that the software you consider contain numerous dictionarys......a person in Japan needs to understand the same as a person in New York or Spain....."Translation" does not have to be seperate.....but does often require added software.
    Also, unless you have a truely must have reason for using "Publishing" then consider "Word" an seek out extra templates.

Thats all I have to say on this subject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.