Minimal security setups

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Meltdown, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

How few security applications do you use?

For the last six months I've just had NOD32 and Proxomitron behind a router, running as admin on XP Home.

What about other people running few or no security apps?

2. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I'm a minimalist when it comes to security applications. I am currently running an antivirus and the Windows XP Firewall, thats it. No need for anything else, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2006
  3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I like to block as much as possible at the firewall, and anything introduced to the machine not yet trusted is run in a virtual environment (vmware.) I can also surf virtual and introduce programs there keeping 'em away from the main system, which is very trim. If I need av I can install one, use cureit from DrWeb or goto Kaspers online scan/jotti or virustotal.

EDIT : I also encrypt everything (the whole lot) with TrueCrypt.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I use only firewall, system administrator account and WinXP Pro.
    My OS is secured by nLite, settings and by using tight-up browser.
    I have MWAV Free, HijackThis & GMER for rare check out of my OS.

I use firewall as the layer protection, in case of WinXP's zero-day-vulnerability.
    Also I need firewall to prevent aplications & Windows to call home (DNS leaks, etc).
    I think about no firewall, but at first I need to get working blocking ports via registry.

I can visit any page via IE without getting infected, at most some mallware will only get into TIF. Most infected pages do not work without scripts, they want to force users to enable it.

Of course, I allways recommend to everyone to use at least Firewall + AV, additionally AS, AT.

5. herbalist

herbalist Guest

The absolute minimum I would run would be SSM, Proxomitron, and Kerio 2.1.5. I could probably do without Kerio as all my ports are closed anyway, but I see no reason to turn it off.
    Rick

6. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Re: Minimalist Experiment Ideas

Hi Herb and others interested in minimalist security:

In the next few months I was planning to set up my old IBM Pentium II with windows xp sp2 updated and hardened hiding behind my router and an alphashield firewall. NOTHING else secuity wise. I will leave this machine online 24*7 for 1 month or it is wiped out by malware/virus/etc which ever comes first. There is nothing of value data wise on this machine (I hope)

Then we will surf away on it along with my grandsons game sites and spouses receipt sites etc etc. Now come 2 subjects open to all:

1) What risks if any will my other 2 pentium PC's face? Both are behind the same 2 H/W firewalls and have AV and AMW security software and mine has ZA Pro as well. Is there any real way a parasite can migrate to the 2 Pentium 4 PC's? The only thing they share is the 2 H/W firewalls and the Intenet connect of course.

2) What do you guys predict will happen parasite wise to the Old Pentium II? How long will it remain uninfected? Pure and clean if you like? What could happen to the 2 "good" PC's?

Fire at will!!!

7. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

The PC will remain uninfected indefinitely. For it to get infected, it would have to be running a service that is listening for inbound connections, the router and firewall would have to be configured to allow inbound connections to the port used by that service, and there would have to be a vulnerability in that service that could be exploited - which, if you keep your OS up to date with the latest patches, won't happen.

Once your grandson starts downloading free games from the internet, I'd give the PC a couple of hours at most before it's compromised :D

8. herbalist

herbalist Guest

All are behind hardware firewalls? Nothing will happen unless you choose to click on something malicious.
    Rick

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

At home we have 3 computers all sit behind a router with build in firewall

Wife : Antivir free + CyberHawk free + DefenseWall (paid, ease of use)
    Me : Antivir free + CyberHawk free + GeSWall free
    Son : Antivir fee + SSM free + occasionally bufferzone free

Regards Kees

10. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

i prefer to run (and mostly do so) only with
    look n stop
    firefox with no script / adblock plus/ site adviser/
    i have my cookies set to delete at close . (apart from a few exceptions)
    kav online scan
    i dont allow ie access or windows explorer with out prompting.

11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

On my old computer i am just running ssm, nothing else.

12. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

On another PC I have the following

router w/firewall
    KIS 6
    Sandboxie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.