Migration to new hd fails

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by cyberman999, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyberman999

cyberman999 Registered Member

I just bought Drive Copy 11 Pro and tried to migrate to a new hd. The first time it failed, Drive Copy showed up an error window saying the error was Hard Disk Manager Error and gave an error number of 0x11112. I searched through the forums and took the advice of turning on Volume Shadow Copy service (whoda thunk it), however it failed again with the same error. I checked to make sure VSS was still on, and found it was off, so I turned it on again but this time, clonehdd.exe crashed partway through the migration and windows put up an error reporting window. Based on what I've read in the forums, I tried looking for other software that could be running and using VSS, and came up empty. I do have Paragon Backup and Recovery 2011 installed, but its not configured to backup anything. I also tried turning off System Restore points, as suggested in yet another thread, but that also did not help ):
    One question: the setting "Hot proccessing temporary drive" would seem to suggest that hot processing requires extra disk space on some hard drive. If so, how much space? (My hd is pretty cramped, hence the getting a new hd)

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Re: Migrattion to new hd fails

How full is the drive?

You will need some space either for vss or paragon hot backup to operate.

Suggest you do the operation outside of Windows - use the Paragon boot disc .

3. cyberman999

I ran chkdsk and that cleared up the 0x11112 error, but now I get an error 0x1200e. A search of the forums suggested fixing bad blocks, so I ran chkdsk again, but I'm still getting error 0x1200e. I guess I'll try running Samsung's diagnostic program ESET. Oh, I have tried running disk copy from the winpe based bootable disk, but got the same error.

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Samsung disk diagnostic is the way to go.

Let us know how it works out.

5. cyberman999

I set it running, but it hadn't finished when I got back to my computer 2 hrs and 35 minutes later(82% finished). I needed to use my computer so I stopped it. I did find plenty of bad blocks, though (no indication of whether or not it mapped out the bad blocks, however) . I don't think I'm going to be able to be away from my computer long enough to finish a scan. Does anyone know of software that can do a bad block scan on an arbitrary section of disc? Say 100GB at a time?

6. cyberman999

I managed to find enough time to complete a bad block scan using Eset. It found some bad blocks, but at the end of the scan it didn't do anything to fix the bad blocks. It just recommended I erase the hd and scan again. Lame.

7. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

8. cyberman999

9. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You seem to have some problems with that drive.

I suppose it is too old to return it.

10. cyberman999

Certainly seems like it. It is too old to return. I just want to be able to migrate to my new hd ):

11. cyberman999

Well, I managed to find fix the bad block problem (used software from the UBCD to remap) and then ran a successfull migration from windows. Everything went fine, but when I tried to boot from the new hd, all I got was an blinking underline ): (after POST, thank god). Booting from my old hd still works. I tried to run a repair from the windows install cd, but it didn't recognize the new hd has having a valid windows install (only listed old hd). Any ideas?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  12. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Could you please boot from old drive, connect your new drive as secondary (or via USB) and post here 2 screenshots:
    1) a screenshot of Windows Disk management
    * right-click on 'My computer' and choose 'Manage';
    * select 'Disk Management' in 'Storage';
    * maximize the window;
    * click 'PrintScreen' key on the keyboard to capture the screen into the Windows Clipboard;
    * paste the image in Paint and save it as JPG, GIF or PNG file;

2) Drive Copy 11 full scale launcher screenshot
    * run Drive Copy 11 in Full Scale and make screenshot of how your drives are shown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.