Migrating from MVPS hosts to Ad Muncher?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

How are these two different? Does Ad Muncher use 127.0.0.1 and also does Ad Muncher prevent Ad servers from opening a separate connection on the web page I am viewing? Do they both offer about the same protection and security?

I have been using MVPS hosts a while but would like to try something else. I have noticed after the last few updates that my surfing speed has slowed going page to page and I have had a few IE7 crashes when I have multiple tabs open. Plus there is always the "blank" page when I try to navigate to my recently viewed pages by clicking the back button.

Anyway, if I try Ad Muncher should I somehow disable MVPS hosts? In my HostsXpert there is a button for "Restore Microsoft's Host File". Will that disable whatever MVPS hosts has done and take me back to my pre-MVPS settings?

As for Ad Muncher, it sounds like a pretty decent deal as it's just $24.95 for a lifetime license. Is there any comparable product in performance (paid or free)?

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Ad Muncher doesn't use the HOSTS file, just adds a few functions to every page to prevent popups and other issues, and remove ads...
    They not offer the same protection. HOSTS files only blocks url's.

You can use both.
    I never used HostsXpert, but I think that feature will revert to the default HOSTS file.

Ad Muncher does not offer lifetime licenses since October...
    SUPERAdBlocker is also a great program, but function in a diferent way of Ad Muncher. Is more a plugin for some internet programs, but doesn't support Opera browser...

3. acr1965

Thanks for the reply. I checked out Ad Muncher and SuperAdBlocker and decided to test the latter first. It is supposed to have some component of SuperAntiSpyware implemented so maybe that is the real time shield of SAS?

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

yes, SAB does include realtime antispyware. it doesnt have all the options of SAS though.

5. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

SUPERAdBlocker features the SUPERAntiSpyware Personal Edition - the real-time and scanning engine are on par with SUPERAntiSpyware Professional - it just doesn't have the custom scanning, and advanced configuration that the SUPERAntiSpyware Professional includes. All of our products (SUPERAntiSpyware, SUPERAdBlocker and FileResearchCenter.com) share the same definition sets, so they are always up to date as far as detection.

We often offer specials where you can get SUPERAdBlocker + SUPERAntiSpyware Professional for a reduced price, feel free to contact me and I can send you a link if we are running the special.

6. acr1965

If the SAS in SuperAdBlocker offers the same real time protection, auto updates and scheduled scans then I would probably go with it verses SAS Pro. I still need to try out Ad Muncher. Both programs seem to be top of the line. But Ad Muncher better be damn good to make me pick it over SAB w/SAS built in.

Thanks for the response.

7. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Why not buy SAB and download SAS Free if you want to fine tune the on-demand scanner?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: IMO,...... SAB = AdMuncher + SAS free + real time monitor
    upside for SAB is real time monitor, for AdMuncher is more ad blocking.
    Overall,IMO, SAB is a better selection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.