migrating data to new HD

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by bradlewa, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradlewa

bradlewa Registered Member

I want to move all the data from my old 40 GB hard drive to my new 160 GB hard drive. I'm using Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 to do this, but I have some questions. When I use the program, it asks how I want to partition the new drive. One of the options is to just use sizes proportional to the existing drive's partitions. For Windows XP, there appears to be a FAT16 or FAT32 partition and then the main NTFS partition. The drive came pre-partitioned when I purchased the computer. Does anyone know if the FAT partition is necessary for Windows XP? It's small, under 1 GB. And when I migrate my data to the new drive, if this partition is needed, can I keep it the same size? or do I need to make it proportional?

I also want to leave some space unallocated so I can make a Linux partition later on. Does anyone have any recommendations as to how much room I should leave?

Thanks for the help.

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, bradlewa

Welcome to Wilders and Acronis Forums.

You can not alter the file system that is in use when [on the Partition] you clone the HDD.
    It is probably where your back up OS and software is. [do not delete it]
    You can only choose proportional per HDD, not per Partition, if you want to keep it at it currant size you with have to choose to do it all manually.
    As above [manually], that is the only way to have unallocated space after you do a clone .
    Depends on the Linux Dis you are going to use.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. bradlewa

Thanks for the response - that definitely helps. I'm probably going to install Mandrake (Mandriva...whatever it's called now) Linux. It's mostly to try it out, but if I like it, then I may end up doing most of my web browsing and word processing on it. Any size recommendations for the partition? The new HD is big, so I'm sure I can set aside 20 GB, which I would think is more than enough.

One other question about the migration software. After the program finishes copying all the data, all I have to do is swap out the old drive and set the new drive to "Master" right? And then it should boot right up into Windows?

Thanks again for the welcome and the help.

BB

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, bradlewa

20gb should be plenty enough.
    Yes that is correct BB, If you have any problems call back, well come back anyway Wilders Security Forum are a great place all your computer Info and more.

Happy Cloning :)

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

5. bradlewa

This may be a silly question - is the trial version fully functional for 15 days? or is it just showing me what the program would do if I bought the retail version?

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bradlewa,

Thank you foryour interest in Acronis System Transferring Software.

Free trial version allows you to create new disk deployment scenario, but prohibits to proceed and it doesn't allow you to create Acronis Bootable Media. These functions are available in the full version, however.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. bradlewa

I tried to use Migrate Easy to move data from my old drive to my new drive, but when the program forced the system to reboot and enter the Acronis utility, an error message came up that said "Disk not found".

How can I resolve this issue? Is there a specific configuration that the IDE cables or master-slave combo need to be in? Does the new drive need to be formatted? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.