Migrating data to new harddrive using USB enclosure

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by odflet, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. odflet

odflet Registered Member

Hi,
    I'm trying to migrate my laptop harddrive to a new, faster, smaller one.
    I bought a USB enclosure, and tried to migrate using disk clone to the new harddrive. I get an error halfway through the first reboot (at the blue screen)
    It says either, 'disk partitions have changed' or some crap like that.

I have an oracle personal database installed, as well as a small linux partition HPs QuickPlay functionality.

Is one of these the culprit, or should I be doing something else first? I saw the FAQ about prepping XP for a migration, but I'm fearful of running the prep program and somehow corrupting the functional harddrive I have now, but not getting the migration to go smoothly, and be stuck with nothing...

Any advice before I dive in again?
    Thanks,

oflet

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello oflet,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build, which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/. To get access to updates you should register your software first at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/registration/. Please disable any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download.

Please try to suspend your Oracle database during the cloning process as described at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#19 (actually it describes image creation but worth doing during the cloning as well).

If this doesn't help please create Acronis Report (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 for the instructions) and send to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. odflet

odflet Registered Member

No luck - still the same error
    I forwarded all my information to support. Is it possible to create an image, save it to a network drive, and then restore that image on a new drive in the same notebook? would that work?

Disk Clone just won't work for me.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

OK, here's an alternative that gets around the problem of locking the drive under Windows.

Create a TrueImage Recovery CD. Boot from the CD.

You can try the Disk Clone funtion now. If there's a problem, here's a fall back.

Put another hard drive in the USB enclosure. Image your current ENTIRE hard drive to the USB drive. Make sure to chceck the box for the drive so that all partitions are included in the image. After the image is complete, use the Check image feature to verify that you have a good image.

Shut down, swap hard drives in the notebook, reboot from the CD and restore the image on the USB drive to the replacement hard drive adjusting partition sizes as needed.

5. Acronis Support

Hello odflet,

You may perform the trasferring in the way you described. Please create the image of the whole disk and store it to the network share. After that create Acronis Bootable CD using the latest build of Acronis True Image and boot from this CD. Please launch "Restore Image" wizard and follow its instructions.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. odflet

odflet Registered Member

Well, I can't get either one of those methods to work either, as when I try and boot from the recovery CD (made after installing the latest build - 800), I get the error:

hub.c: connect-debounce failed, port 2 disabled

At which time, I get a freeze, and nothing happens at all...

I'm getting very frustrated with this product - I can't imagine there it can be this difficult with Ghost...

7. jmk94903

That's a known error, but normally if you wait a minute the system boots anyway. If you are seeing a real freeze, perhaps you can change your USB device configuration temporarily. Unplug all USB devices except the external hard drive. If you use a USB hub, unplug it and plug the USB hard drive in directly. Then try rebooting from the CD.

Hope that helps.

8. Acronis Support

Hello odflet,

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Could you please try the "acpi=off noapic" workaround and if it doesn't help please create the sysinfo.txt file and send it to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 for the detailed instructions).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. odflet

odflet Registered Member

Thanks for your attempts to help.

I did try the "acpi=off noapic" workaround. did unplug all my USB devices other than the hard drive - neither solved the issue.

I was able to create an image of the my old drive to a different USB drive. BUT when I booted off the recovery disk, and went to restore the image to the new drive, it would not recognize the other disk in the restore image function. It was recognized in the 'Disk Clone' function, but not as an option to restore my stored image. The image was a good one, and it was definitely where it should have been.

Soooo frustrating. I could've reinstalled all my apps & OS 6 times over with the amount of time this 'time saver' has cost me. Not to mention my $49.99

I have already submitted all of my information to the support team, per the instructions, and that was 72 hours ago now...

Very dissatisfied.

10. jmk94903

Recapping, you can boot from the TrueImage Recovery CD with this other USB 2 hard drive attached, but if you have your first USB 2 hard drive connected the system freezes and fails to boot. Do I have this correct?

Most strange. What is more peculiar is that the second USB 2 hard drive can be seen to make an image but not seen in Restore mode. That just doesn't seem possible.

In Windows with True Image, if you use the Check Image function on the image you made on the second USb 2 drive is it a good image? Can you Explore that image?

11. odflet

odflet Registered Member

yes, yes & yes. I finally decided the problem MUST have been with the enclosure I purchased (Vantec NexStar 2.5" USB 2.0). And I was right. Returned it this afternoon, picked up a different brand, and Disk Clone worked flawlessly in Windows mode, cloning my full drive in under 20 minutes.
    I was actually awestruck at the efficiency once it all worked correctly. New drive is indistinguishable from the old -- except it's much much faster.
    Thanks for all your suggestions.

12. jmk94903

Another happy ending when good hardware is in place. :)

13. Acronis Support

Hello odflet,

Glad to hear you have solved the problem.

The most strange thing now is that you still didn't get a response from Acronis Support Team. Could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply? I need to find out the reason for the delay from our Support Team.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

14. odflet

odflet Registered Member

[Acronis #210373] Error using Disk Clone

I did receive an email at yesterday at 3:06 p.m.
    But I had solved the problem myself by then.

Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.