MigrateEasy hangs on analyzing partitions

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by jmohn45, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmohn45

jmohn45 Registered Member

I recently downloaded & installed ME as a part of Power Utilities 2004. Several issues have arisen. My system employs Windows 2000 Pro on a 1G Pentium III w/ 512 Meg Ram. I have 2 existing SCSI drives set up as simple volumes(System Drives 0 and 1). Both drives have multiple partitions and are controlled by an Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI Card. Disk 0 has partitions "C", "E", "F", & "G". Disk 1 has partitions "H" & "I". I've been trying to use ME to migrate System Drive 0 to a newly installed SATA RAID 1 array (Disk 2) controlled by a Adaptec 1210SA card. During the system startup POST both controller cards successfully load their BIOS's and their associated drives also load. Initially, I was able to start and run ME. My attempts to set up the array partitions manually were unsuccessful. The ME program text window initially allowed me to check the "relayout" box but after manually setting up the partitions, the "relayout" box was obscured in the text window and could not be unchecked. After numerous unsuccessful attempts (restarting ME each time) I elected to migrate the partitions "as is". During the subsequent migration process I was blessed with the "blue screen of death". I was advised by Adaptec to update the SATA array driver to its latest version which I did. Windows restarted and all appeared right with the world except that ME hung up during the next attempted migration when it was 83% thru analyzing the partitions. I did a soft boot and was able to restart Windows. During the restart a ME screen briefly appeared which said "completed". Windows Explorer indicated System Disk 0 and Disk 1 were unaffected but the new array is not listed. I attempted to rerun ME. And while the ME program started it hungup during its inital partition analysis at partition "K". Windows Explorer does not report a partition "K". Does this mean I have to reformat the new array drives and start againo_O?

Updated information:
    Reformated the SATA array hard drives and again attempted to use ME to clone the system drive "0" to the array but ME still hangs when started while analyzing the phantom drive "K". I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the "Power Utilities 2004" suite but the result's the same.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2004
  2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, jmohn45

You do not need it formatted Just set your chunk size and the Raid1 Array.

The HDD's you are trying to Migrate does the OS have you Raid Controllers drivers loaded.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

PS: Yes you have the drivers loaded, :oops: missed them first time.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
  3. jmohn45

jmohn45 Registered Member

TheQuest.. thanks for your response.

“…Just set your chunk size and the Raid1 Array…”

I’m a newbie to setting up RAID arrays and I don’t know what you mean by “chunk size”?

I’m using the RAID array setup utility which came with the Adaptec card to setup the mirrored array (RAID 1) and there’s no mention of “chunk size”.

I had already reformatted, reinitialized and rebuilt the mirrored array before I received your response. It didn’t change the cloning outcome. MigrateEasy still hangs on “Analyzing Partition K” as before. Bye the bye, I was mistaken in my initial post. "My Computer" does list Partition “K” is the last partition on Disk 1. Thanks again. Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.