MigrateEasy and Norton Antivirus

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by dbk723, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbk723

dbk723 Registered Member

Hi, just a quick question for anybody that has gone through this process before. I copied the contents of a 100GB hard drive to an empty 250GB drive a couple of days ago. Everything copied OK, and the drive boots up great, but now Norton Antivirus needs to be re-activated and it won't accept the key from my original drive. Anyone know how to enable the program again? Do I need to uninstall it, remove the directory and registry keys and then re-install it, or is there an easier way?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dbk723,

Thank you for choosing Acronis System Transferring Software.

Please note that Acronis Migrate Easy transfers all the data intact and nothing could be "lost". It seems that Norton Antivirus checks the hardware somehow. Have you contacted Symantec for possible solution?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. dbk723

dbk723 Registered Member

I have written to Symantec - the suggestion I got was that the firewall was preventing it from connecting to the server, which doesn't really make sense. I uninstalled the program from the conrtrol panel, and when it didn't remove all of it, I tried Symantec's remove utility (which removed all the NAV program and messed up a couple of desktop icons, although the programs ran OK).

Then I tried re-installing NAV 2005 from scratch, but it still wouldn't accept the code on the package. So at the moment I'm planning to try again sometime in the future starting from a fresh Windows install.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dbk723,

I am unaware of how NAV2005 works and how it validates the key you enter but accroding to your description it seems that it associates the key with some hardware signature of the hard drive and stores all this information somewhere in the registry so that after transferring the key and signature do not match and the program refuses to work. However, it is just assumption and I cannot be sure that this is the reason. The registry is transferred to the new drive intact along with all the other files.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.