Migrated HDD gives Dell "Return Code: 7" error...

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by johnblue21, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnblue21

johnblue21 Registered Member

I am migrating from an 80GB drive to a new 1TB drive. I used the Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2011 to do the migration. My issue is that it's actually a Raid of (2) 80GB HDDs. We are doing away with the Raid. After I did the migration, I put the new drive in, and the Dell will show that it's there on the system setup. But when I try to let it boot, it says no partition found, then it will show the XP logo for about five seconds before crashing and giving me a 0x0000007B error. When I do a Dell HDD Diagnostic, it gives me a Return Code: 7 error which says the drive is bad. It's not a bad drive. Am I missing a step?

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

0x0000007B Sounds like a driver issue - hard drive controller perhaps.

How do you know?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  3. johnblue21

johnblue21 Registered Member

Well I guess I'm assuming that it's not a bad drive because it's new, I'll swap it for another new drive of the same size and see if I get the same error.

As far as the 0x0000007B code, I'm a little lost as what to do.

I can put the new drive it, it starts to load, but it will fail and give me the error. I put in the Windows CD, get to the console and go to repair. If I try to use the BOOTCFG /REBUILD, it will tell me it can't find any Windows installations to repair. I'm lost as to why I can see it attempting to load Windows, but says there is no OS to repair. I only have these issues when it comes to Dell...

4. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Error 07B usually means that correct HDD controller driver is missing.

Do you have minidump file available (it is usually located in C:\Windows\Minidump\ *.dmp)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.