Migrated HDD gives Dell "Return Code: 7" error...

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by johnblue21, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnblue21

johnblue21 Registered Member

I am migrating from an 80GB drive to a new 1TB drive. I used the Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2011 to do the migration. My issue is that it's actually a Raid of (2) 80GB HDDs. We are doing away with the Raid. After I did the migration, I put the new drive in, and the Dell will show that it's there on the system setup. But when I try to let it boot, it says no partition found, then it will show the XP logo for about five seconds before crashing and giving me a 0x0000007B error. When I do a Dell HDD Diagnostic, it gives me a Return Code: 7 error which says the drive is bad. It's not a bad drive. Am I missing a step?

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

0x0000007B Sounds like a driver issue - hard drive controller perhaps.

How do you know?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  3. johnblue21

johnblue21 Registered Member

Well I guess I'm assuming that it's not a bad drive because it's new, I'll swap it for another new drive of the same size and see if I get the same error.

As far as the 0x0000007B code, I'm a little lost as what to do.

I can put the new drive it, it starts to load, but it will fail and give me the error. I put in the Windows CD, get to the console and go to repair. If I try to use the BOOTCFG /REBUILD, it will tell me it can't find any Windows installations to repair. I'm lost as to why I can see it attempting to load Windows, but says there is no OS to repair. I only have these issues when it comes to Dell...

4. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Error 07B usually means that correct HDD controller driver is missing.

Do you have minidump file available (it is usually located in C:\Windows\Minidump\ *.dmp)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.