mighty magoo textlinks

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by djrussell53, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djrussell53

djrussell53 Guest

Hello,

How can I get rid of the mighty magoo textlinks addon in firefox? I've tried uninstall/disable in firefox and it's still there.

thanks,
    donna

2. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

At first, I looked for this as an addon to Firefox, but then I found that this is described on the web as "adware" and can't be removed by Firefox or by most of the anti-malware products. One post claimed Ad-Aware by Lavasoft can get rid of this, but all I can say is maybe you can try the free version of that product and see whether it helps. Perhaps one of the Eset monitors here has a better suggestion.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Try with Malwarebytes (free)

4. djrussell53

djrussell53 Guest

Thank you for your reply. I'll give it a go and see if I can get rid of the thing and then post back here if I'm successful or not. Thanks again.

5. rcdailey

You'd think Malwarebytes would kill this thing, but all the posts I can find say that the addon just comes back after being "removed" by Malwarebytes. It is definitely related to Firefox based on comments that IE won't cause it to come back, but when Firefox is run, the addon reappears. I would have suggested that the OP use "about:config" and search for "magoo" but I do not know that it is identified in that way within the Firefox config. It could be obfuscated or hooked-in without a config entry. No posts I've seen mention trying about:config. I also doubt the post about Ad-Aware fixing this, but you never know until you try, I guess. I did see something about going to the Magoo website where they will tell you how to remove it. I'm not planning on going there myself, due to the fact that the last post I saw suggested that the company should clean up their act and get the site back in the green with WOT rather than in the red as they are now. The company that provides Mighty Magoo claims, of course, to be a legitimate advertising site, but scam artists often make those claims.

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

This appears to be an ongoing issue with this add-on at Mozilla support The are open queries there awaiting answers from other Moz users. You have an open query regarding this there also.

How can the ESET Support Forum help you resolve this problem ? Is this preventing correct functionality of your ESET software ?

Thank you.

7. djrussell53

djrussell53 Guest

Hello siljaline,

Yes I did post on Mozilla too. I'm trying to find some help for a friend that's running Eset. She lives in Australia, so I'll be able to find out some more details. About all I know is she clicked something on Facebook to allow her to play some sort of games, and then this mighty crap magoo thing came up instead. I've been able to help her with her computer via teamviewer, so I'm hoping I can help with this magoo thing. Why wouldn't Eset have prevented this magoo thing? My friend also runs Spybot, and that didn't catch it either.

Thank you,
    Donna

8. siljaline

It would appear this is a major issue with installations of Mozilla, your post at Mozilla Support should be answered by Mozilla since the onus is on them to support add-ons they offer. If you or your Friend are usng this problematic add-on, infections may continue if the Browser continues to be compromised.

What we would require to further assist you, is a follow-up from Mozilla Support, the installed version of the software, the system information, are pre-release updates enabled ?
    The operating system in which the software is installed. Any other security software, however insignificant.

Thank you.

9. rcdailey

From what I can find out, Mozilla has never offered a "Magoo" addon. So, should Mozilla fix what they did not cause? Maybe. I checked out MicrosoftAnswers.com and found that some have complained about the "Magoo" addon there, from the perspective of users of Internet Explorer. One answer posted there was to "format and reinstall." Not a comforting response. Then I saw elsewhere that a user of Google Chrome was similarly infected. An answer there was to uninstall the Magoo software and then find a specific file that could be quarantined (NAV found the suspicious file for that user but did not automatically quarantine it).

Ultimately, it appears that the problem is with the user allowing software to be installed without being fully informed of what that software will do. Ever hear of that happening?

10. siljaline

Mozilla may have never offered that add-on but there is a number of queries at Mozilla Support that I have already noted that are outstanding including one from the OP in this thread. It would be most unfortunate for a user to have to re-install due to an errant add-on although I cannot take you to task that misinformed users of software reap the issue of the outcome of running said software. This is unfortunate, at best.

Awaiting more information from OP to continue assistance, if possible.

11. rcdailey

Yes, I'm sure it's very frustrating for the OP. Mozilla has clearly provided users a place to post their experience with this "Magoo" issue without actually responding as to what, if anything, Mozilla will do about it. Perhaps they are just gathering data at this point. Maybe someone or some agency will eventually crack down on the "Mighty Magoo" webiste. If there are enough complaints, the site might be blacklisted.

12. siljaline

If Mozilla is taking queries on "Magoo" the onus is on Mozilla Support to answer those queries, in my opinion. One would hope Moz is gathering data into the gaming bundle software of the Moz Magoo Ad-on.

Those that do not wish to have this software installed can blacklist the site in various ways, such as adding to restricted sites, etc.
    We can only hope Moz, (pardon repetition), finds the software is rendering multiple installations useless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.