Might have to rebuild MBR from my backup disk

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Horus37, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

I did make a copy of my mbr but not sure how to safely rebuild it considering my last MBR fiasco after I uninstalled this product. How do you recreate just the MBR from the backup disk created with FDISR without using an image program to just restore only the MBR? I read the archives here and no one really discusses this. I want to remove a snapshot I'm having problems in and then after that redo my MBR to see if that gives me back functionality to a power shadow software. They both sit in the MBR. However I think I have to totally get rid of this power shadow from the MBR as well and start over.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Assuming you made the MBR floppy with FDISR, using a formated floppy, there is a readme.txt on the floppy with instructions.

WARNING. Do understand that what that will do is restore the mbr to a normal windows mbr, unless you made it with Power Shadow installed. Then who knows. Returnng to a windows MBR won't hurt FDISR, but off course it will damage the Power Shadow installation, to what degree unknown.

To any other readers.

Since FDISR, can in essence duplicate the Power Shadow functionality, the only reason for combining them as Horus has down, is that for some purposes Power Shadow would be a bit faster. However given the trouble that can arise, as horus is experiencing that timesaving can be lost in a heart beat. That is why it really isn't a worthwhile exercise.

Pete

3. Horus37

Problem solved. After deleting snapshots and recreating them and testing out what could have been the issue and getting the same problem over and over I just disabled the FDISR pre boot menu and rebooted then then on the next boot up I re enabled the boot screen for FDISR and then all went well as now the Powershadow menu comes back that was previously messed up by hitting the ESC button instead of F1 during a normal boot process. Lesson is if you accidently do hit the esc button you have to disable then re enable the FDISR preboot if you want to use power shadow since they both sit in the MBR.

I didn't put the MBR on a floppy. I put it on a cd disk. Notice that it needs to be bootable to work or not? Otherwise I'm wondering how this MBRtool -reset function works if the floppy isn't bootable and one has to reboot into dos to use it like the directions say. I'm glad I didn't have to go through that. Seems strange as most modern computer don't have a floppy drive. I'll have to create a bootable cdrom with this info now I think.
    Either that or incorporate it somehow into my bartpe disk.

By the way FDISR + pwr shadow works great. I think it's better than using a frozen snapshot as you don't have to defrag after. Drive looks pristine. Even better it works in limited user mode. I suppose I could see if I could boot up a frozen snapshot with powershadow running inside it while in a limited user account but seems too much to hope for. What would be funny is I now have VMPlayer and to boot up vmplayer inside a frozen snapshot running powershadow full and mix rollback into the mix just to see how messy things can get.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

ROFL. Horus, I am glad you got you mess straightened out. I would suggest strongly, that you get a good imaging program like Acronis True Image, or Shadow Protect, and image, and test your images. Then you can destroy your computer to your hearts content, and always put the pieces back together again. I also actually do get a kick out of this, but i always have a bail out image to fall back on.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Horus, are u sure PowerShadow sits in MBR?

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

7. Horus37

No I'm not sure if powershadow sits in the mbr or modifies it. I just assumed since you get a bootup menu to describe how you want windows to load -normal, single partition, or full disk - that it was in the mbr. If you say it's not in the mbr then I'll have to dig some more but seemed logical to me. I'd have to say that it's working just fine now.

However I'm still concerned as to how to modify the MBR with the fdisr MBR copy I have now on a CD. Word is that it is NOT bootable. How does someone use this cd rom made mbr copy if you haven't made it bootable? Maybe I'll incorporate it into my bartpe disk.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.