Microsoft's Windows® Defender Final

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by NICK ADSL UK, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Brief Description
    Windows Defender is a free program that helps you stay productive by protecting your computer against pop-ups, slow performance

Overview
    This is the most current release of Windows Defender. If Windows Defender informed you that an update is available, you are running an older version. We encourage you to upgrade to this version. You can check your version of Windows Defender by clicking the down arrow next to the help icon and choosing ‘About Windows Defender’.

This release includes enhanced features that reflect ongoing input from customers, as well as Microsoft’s growing understanding of the malicious software landscape.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...E7-DA2B-4A6A-AFA4-F7F14E605A0D&displaylang=en

To download the x64 version of Windows Defender, click here.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...14-6FFE-4FAD-8CA5-74F236E9283B&displaylang=en

Specific features of Windows Defender include:
    A redesigned and simplified user interface – Incorporating feedback from our customers, the Windows Defender UI has been redesigned to make common tasks easier to accomplish with a warning system that adapts alert levels according to the severity of a threat so that it is less intrusive overall, but still ensures the user does not miss the most urgent alerts.

Improved detection and removal – Based on a new engine, Windows Defender is able to detect and remove more threats posed by spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Real Time Protection has also been enhanced to better monitor key points in the operating system for changes.

Protection for all users – Windows Defender can be run by all users on a computer with or without administrative privileges. This ensures that all users on a computer are protected by Windows Defender.

Support for 64-bit platforms, accessibility and localization - Windows Defender supports accessibility and 64-bit platforms. Microsoft will release localized versions including German and Japanese soon after the availability of the English versions. Please be sure to use WindowsDefenderX64.msi for 64-bit platforms.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...14-6FFE-4FAD-8CA5-74F236E9283B&displaylang=en

Delta definition updates - Windows Defender now downloads smaller delta definition updates when possible which reduces the time required to download and install definition updates. Customers can expect shorter download times when updating their definition updates.

Free Limited Support - As a part of our commitment to the security of our customers, free support for installation, configuration, definition update, detection and removal errors will be available for a limited time after download and installation. Please refer to the Windows Defender support policy for more information.

WGA enforcement - There are significant risks to running non-genuine Windows. Only genuine Windows customers can receive product downloads, Windows updates and special offers. Windows Defender will validate that your copy of Windows is genuine before installation. Furthermore, Windows Defender will only remove Severe threats for machines that are not genuine. Low, Medium and High threats will be detected, but not removed unless your copy of Windows is genuine. For more information, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

Important Notes

Windows Defender no longer supports Windows 2000 as it will be out of mainstream support in October 2006. Please refer to the support lifecycle website for more information.

Access to Newsgroups:
    In addition to phone support we also have newsgroups to help get your questions answered.
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/sec...&cr=US&r=33d293cc-19b6-404b-865b-565a73822c7f

For Additional Information:
    Please see the Release Notes to learn more about known issues with Windows Defender
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/about/releasenotes.mspx

2. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Any Changelog from previous beta?

3. DaveD

DaveD Guest

After installing this, I realized that it had put both the WGA Notification and WGA Validation on my system. I purchased my OS about a month ago but I still don't want this junk on my computer.

Is there a way to install Windows Defender without WGA?
    Is Windows Defender even worth it?

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

@NICK ADSL UK
    I wonder if u can convey to MS that they must improve it. It,s a shame for such a big software company to have an AS that has below average performance. Even MSAS was much better than this.
    Not a bashing for MS, just my feeling after comparing WD with other As like Ewido, SS, Cs etc.

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Probably best to install wga then install defender then remove wga. There is a tool available to remove wga.

6. DaveD

DaveD Guest

7. farmerlee

LOL was it? I can't remember where i got my wgaremoval tool from but i'm glad i still have a copy of it.

Just trying this new version of defender out now, i'll post the results later on.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

cool i cant wait for the results to see if it has improved. can you post screenies?

9. DaveD

DaveD Guest

I used it about a year ago when it was still MSAS but haven't used it since; haven't really followed the development of it much either.

How does it compare (detection-wise) to Ad-adware and Spybot?

I am just trying to decide if it is worth it or not. I usually prefer to avoid MS software, aside from the OS of course.

10. farmerlee

Looks pretty much the same as the previous beta version. Even tho it claims a simpler interface i don't really see much of a difference.

Attached Files:

11. farmerlee

The tools and settings page.

Attached Files:

12. farmerlee

Resource use.

Attached Files:

13. NICK ADSL UK

14. NICK ADSL UK

Hi aigle:)
    If you can list me some specific details in full of what you are not happy with then i can forward it on to those concerned

Regards

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi Nick !
    I am really sorry for somehow hijacking this thread . May I post some things I dislike in Windows Defender which I would be glad to see them forwared to as you say those concenred and later improved. Thanks in advanced , Nick ;)

My exprerience is based on beta 2

• First , I don't like its "very simple" user interface (not a big problem at all but... I would like to be informed more)
    • Its detection rate is too poor , in my opinion . I have big experience with this products although I don't use it . I read in forums and newsgroups where it can't find even a very simple and popular spyware ,however many others security products can
    • Have seen that it finds a spyware but sometimes can in no way remove it
    • It can't start in Safe Mode (to scan and clean), as far as I understand from forums/newsgroups
    • The most that annoys me is the way it updates . When I had Defender beta 2 it updated using Windows/Microsoft Update . All my computers are set to automatically check for updates but not to download or install without me ( I only receive a pop-up which notifies there are new updates for Windows) One a month I update Windows (regular Windows Updates). However Defender updates more often than once a month , as far as I can remember some times a week and I don't like a pop-up then goto Microsoft site , slow update procedure, restart ... I would like it update flawlessly usings its own feauture (like all all other antivirus and antispyware softwares update)

Edit:
    To sum-up I would encourage Microsoft to get back Antispyware beta 1 and work on it to make it the best antispyware software

Thank you very much , Nick :thumb: ;)

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

~~ removed quote ~~ no need to quote an entire post when it's just above....Bubba ~

the stupid thing is the update procedure in Microsoft antispyware was more streamlined and done it with in the program.

and i like you comments most of those i would like to see to
    :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2006
  17. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Is it true that it install WGAo_O If so, I am really not interested to have this sh*t again on my system...

18. ASpace

ASpace Guest

True , it won't install without that . AFAIK , it will install it if you don't have it and later this will decide if your Windows is genuie . If your Windows is not genuie , WD will not work as a whole but will remove only Severe threats coresponding to Microsoft's policy to prevent illegal computers become hosts for viruses/malware

By the way , I have WGA installed on my systems , no problem for me :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2006
  19. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

My windows is genuine so as every softwares on my system... The last time I had WGA on my system, it was giving me so much troubles that I had no other choices to remove it and you can bet that I won't reinstall that little bugger any time soon...

20. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No problems , I trust you :thumb:

:D :D I am sure ;)

21. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Windows Defender is on my blacklist.
    - I can't install it without internet connection.
    - when it was installed, it didn't do anything.
    - I hate the Windows on-line activation, so I hate the WGA-stuff too.
    I'm glad it's out of beta.

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.
    I have some points.

1- It,s detection rate is average. I myself checked by some spyware samples/ IM worm not dtected by it and dtected by SAS and Ewido. Again it is understandable that not all threats can be detected by a single scanner but these were in my opinion common malwaree that would have been detected anyway. I see lot of people complaining about poor results. I read PC Magazines saying that its results as average. I think if so many people complain, there is sure some base. In contrary MSAS from same company used to have much better repute, so it is not a simple MS bashing.

2- The way of notifying the new start up enteries is really very very poor indeed. Whenever it finds a newstart up entery/ service/ driver, it says by a baloon that WS Defender have detected changes, then u have to click tray icon to open main console and then have to accept or deny changes. Agin it will take a while to get community information for the threat.
    One thing that is so annoying is that there is no way to remember this start up entery.
    Wht not just a pop up from tray area or in the middle of screen saying that there is new start up entery/ service/ driver etc with the option to accept or deny and also to remember this action or not.
    The need to open main console and no option to remember this action is really annoying.

3- It does not stop new start up enteries/ services in real time rather I think it uses pooling. MSAS used to do same if I remember correctly. I am not expert but in my opinion it should be stopped in real time. Spyware terminator does this and this is nice feature.

4- It will tell u that there are changes detected via a baloon from systray, if u ingore this warning, the warning will totally disappear from it just after a reboot of system.

5- The way it tells u the details of a result is poor, I mean the user interface for that is poor, u have to scroll down each time to see all details. Why not to adjust them in default screen size.

6- The update system is really poor and annoying, it should be updated like some other AV, AS or AT does.

- Automatic( with option of notifying or silent).
    - Manual with progress bar( esp on dial up I am interested to see update progress as some times it takes a lot time).

I can,t understannd why they have affiliated auto-upadte with scheduled scans. I don,t find auotupdate option if I disable scheduled scans( or may be I missed).
    Even to find manulal update option is a bit tricky. It is hidden. Don,t know how it can be part of a simple and clean user interface.

My experience is based upon it,s use a few months back. I will expect other users to comment/ coprrect me if I am wrong/ right.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  23. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Agreed with aigle's comments.

That's why I don't install it even when it is free for legitimate Windows XP users. The way it updates itself is really a joke. I just hope it is not installed by default in Windows Vista.

24. DaveD

DaveD Guest

I never really thought of that, but I'm willing to bet my money that it will be installed by default on Vista.

25. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I think it's supposed to be integrated in Vista so good luck killing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.