Microsoft XP SP3

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by NICK ADSL UK, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

The roll out for xp 3 will be next week. There is however some builds in circulation that could have bad code so my advice to you is to wait until the appropriate time and to not go and search for something that isn't there and be disappointed ;)

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Wow, I expected it in middle/late April, not in middle March. The release will be similar to the rollout of Vista SP1?

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Yay!!!!!!!! I cant wait for XP SP3 :D

4. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

That's really news for us XP'ers!

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I can't find any announcement it's being released next week: how do you know this?

6. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Having tried out two RCs,both of which seemed to cause some degree of disagreement-agree that being patient and waiting for the final would be the best strategy.

7. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Strange you bring this up. Was digging around yesterday for some info. on contents (besides the roll-up of all previous updates) and a release date. Did read that some performance gains may be had. Any ideas? Now I will finally get around to doing that slip-streamed install I have been promising myself for a verrrryyy long time. :D

8. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I'm avoiding SP3 like the plague. I like to sit back and watch things unfold before installing anything important ;).

9. ThunderZ

Understood Innerpeace. Hopefully they get it right the first time, this time. Going to test it out on my lap top first before I do a fresh install of XP and all on my tower.

10. Hairy Coo

Microsoft say that performance gains cant be expected as updates dont relate to that,probably a placebo effect.
    Couldnt really notice any gains in running the RCs.
    It seems essentially an update consolidation with a few additions.

11. ThunderZ

Thanks Hairy Coo. Read several articles about it. Only one mentioned possible(?) performance gains. Most said all Sp3 really contained was the usual roll-up + a couple other minor fixes.
    Nothing wrong with a placebo, sugar pills are sweet. :D

12. innerpeace

Let us know how the test goes :D. I'm just joking of course. I do hope they get everything right, but it is Microsoft we are talking about here LOL. Why not use the wife's machine :p.

I would also like to do a slipstream of SP3. I've made an OEM XP SP2 install into a functional disk so a slipstream would be fun :).

13. Carver

Carver Registered Member

When MS released SP2 they offered to send you one or several CDs with SP2 on it, I wonder it MS will be doing something like that for SP3.

14. ThunderZ

Thought about it......then figured "nah". If something goes wrong the couch really is`t that comfortable.
    The lap top will be the real test. With my normal software installed it stands the biggest chance of hic-ups. Sort of like many experienced with Sp2. :(

Figure this will be the last major update for XP. No better time to do it. Got to admit I need to read up a bit on doing it. Getting all the MS stuff together for it is not a problem. I would also like to add my regularly used apps. as well. That is where I get a bit lost. o_O

15. ThunderZ

If your on cable or DSL you can normally d/l it right from MS (not via the update site) then burn it. I grabbed Vista Sp1 to go with the copy I have of Vista Prem. RC 1 setting on my storage drive in this way.

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Unfortunate that SP3 offers nothing in the way of performance advantage. I'm one of those who run a nominal setup with average memory energy and CPU, at least till spring.

As far as security, the only logical improvement they might offer XP users is some way to separate the tethering of IE to the system and better monitoring of the browser channels that allow potential malicious web content to slip thru IE straight to the system area.

That's one reason why we have a better quantity of security products to help offset it's limitations.

FWIW, i still only use Internet Explorer although i can at will call up Opera any time.

17. Hairy Coo

Hi Innerpeace,

I slipstreamed XP3 and it worked fine-actually the small bugs which seemed to occur with it may not have been caused by it-hard to say.
    Generally everything worked well and as expected.
    Essentially it should be 100% (OK 98%) trouble free hopefully with the final.
    The RCs also have an uninstall and seemingly backed up XP2-so its all quite safe-any probs. just rollback.
    Microsoft also have an applet which allows XP3 to be installed as a regular update.

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

from some pc magazines which done benchmarks tests sp3 is 10percent faster than sp2.
    not sure about installing it on my older desktop running xp or not.
    it has an over 3 year old install of xp so not sure.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  19. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I read on a developers blog that MS had optimised parts of the kernel and other parts of the XP code, will try and dig it out.

20. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I am looking forward to the release.

21. innerpeace

LOL, at least the couch is better than the dog house.

I also need to read up on it. I'm getting ready to build my first machine and maybe I will get lucky and they will have XP SP3 disks out by then. I'm not sure they are even going to sell them or not.

Hi Hairy Coo,

Good to hear it went well. I would either install SP3 manually or make a slipstreamed disk and install it that way. It's also good to hear that there is an uninstall and a backup of SP2. Who know's, I may get bored waiting for hardware prices to drop and give it a go :D.

22. Hairy Coo

Xp will not be available after 30 June,times running out:)

Very much doubt that Microsoft would think it necessary to bring out an XP-SP3 disk,as this is just basically a rollup update with a few additions.

Its no more difficult to install than any other update and should be automatically offered to you if you are running SP2 and have auto updates switched on.

The size as a standalone install is about 315mb,but as an update about 75mb.

I slipstreamed only to install on another partition.

23. innerpeace

Thanks, I knew they were supposed to quit selling XP this year, but that's only a season away.

I didn't figure there would be XP SP3 install disks, but it doesn't hurt to wish. It's only there most popular OS :cautious:.

I also should have mentioned that I manually update everything and usually wait for the smoke to clear when it comes to program updates. It's hard to get used to the fact that I have an ext. HDD now with backups :D.

24. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Nice to hear this, but the other side of the coin is:

Software developers will be forced to upgrade their apps ? AND

the end users will be busy updating everything which may be affected by SP3.

And then, comments from the right and the left will swamp various forums.

Interesting ? isn't it ?

25. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I just read in the Langa letter, that in fact XP may be available to the end of the year as an OEM install thru small business computer makers. Will be interesting to watch and see if say Velocity Micro can keep offering it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.