Microsoft/Windows update change ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Fly, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

System: Windows XP Home Edition SP2
    I have set Microsoft update to 'notify'.

Recently I restored an image.
    I realized I didn't have the most recent IE 7 update. I waited a while, then got tired of waiting.
    I tried using Microsoft update to get the latest update.

It required me to download new MS updating software ! I didn't like that, so I gave Windows update a try, it somehow switched to MS update, so that didn't work either. So I decided to download that software, and got the required update.

However, I didn't like putting that new MS software on my computer.
    What does it do ? I have a legit version, and I really don't like having an *improved* :cautious: version of Microsoft's phone-home software.
    This issue is very new, a few months ago it didn't exist. Does anyone know more about this ?

Since I didn't like it, I decided to restore an image, and within a few hours the IE update was offered the usual way, without a need to install new MS updating software.

2. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

The "new software" are compulsory and are most like be the Genuine Advantage tools to detect the genuineness of your Windows. I hope I am interpreting your "new software" correctly.

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

(Non-English OS btw)

Yes, but it's odd that I don't have to download that 'new software' when I just wait to be notified of new updates. After the notification I can just choose to download and install the new update. It's possible that WGA software was updated in stealth mode when I waited for the latest IE 7 update, but I suspect that's not the case.

So I wonder what has changed and why. As I stated, a few months ago this issue didn't exist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.