Microsoft Vista & 64-Bit Windows XP question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gracie123, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

hello, i just purchased a new dell computer from dell's website. it is the xps 410. just wondering if windows xp 64-bit comes preinstalled and i have games/programs ive bought that work with the 32-bit version of windows xp, will they work with the 64-bit version of windows xp and windows vista 64-bit when it is released to consumers?

thanks in advance,

gracie

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

windows x64 isnt very common as preinstalled, more likely u got the regular 32-bit Windows XP.

most 32-bit programs (like games, browsers, office) will work fine on a 64-bit OS, but for security software, you will need 64-bit compatible versions.

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Would bet my last $ that you got 32 bit. You`ll be fine with your games and other software.

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

5. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi gracie123,

When you place your order, you will be shown which OS is pre-installed. I guess it is most probably Windows XP Home 32-bit.

6. gracie123

Hi everyone,

I checked with Dell and they said it will be the 32-bit version. I chose XP Pro.

I just hope my games/programs will run on 64-bit Vista :) when its released.

Gracie

7. ThunderZ

Why are you interested in the 64 bit version? Really no need for the great majority of users. I have XP 64 setting on a CD. Would love to play with it to take full advantage of my AMD 64 processor and 4 gigs of ram. However, several of my security apps. will not run on it so guess I will just continue to wait......:(

8. gracie123

Of windows xp just to see what would be different and Vista because that is what the Express Upgrade to Vista version that Dell is currently offering is supposed to be. :)

9. ThunderZ

XP 64 is really visually no different then 32. All the changes are under the hood. Have read it has the potential\is faster more stable on the properly built, setup PCs. If Dell is offering Vista 64 then they will also be the ones providing the drivers and other software for the purchased machine. Be aware that if you purchase other hardware, peripherals from anywhere else you may have problems. There is still a minimal support for XP 64 so I would guess Vista 64 support is even further behind. Especially considering the greater changes made in Vista. Just something to keep in mind.

10. gracie123

Oh ok I see..

gracie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.