Microsoft updates failing

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by twl845, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi, In 2007 I bought my Grandson a Dell desktop computer with Vista installed. For a year, he got his Microsoft updates on a regular basis with no problems. Then, in 2008 the updates began to fail. I have learned that to date 80 updates in all have failed to install. I took a look and sure enough the progress bar preparing to install goes and goes but nothing happens. Last night I told him to let it alone and see if the updates eventually install, and he tells me that after a few hours he gave up.

Does anyone know what the problem could be and how I can get it going. In the control panel under the security folder, it is indeed checked off to download updates automatically. However I can't even make it download updates manually. Thanks in advance. :p

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I sometimes get manual Defender updates which fail. Yet if I close the updater window & open it a bit later then check, the updates always eventually install. I don't know what's going on with that. o_O

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Some alternative aprroaches:
    0. Before doing anything else, create backup images of system and data.
    1. Try to repair Windows, using a recovery disc (http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/) or the Vista installation disc.
    2. If there is a system backup (image) available, created before the problem started, restore it.
    3. Restore the Dell factory image.
    4. Reinstall Windows.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I wouldn't reinstall Windows with this issue. The problem appears to be on the Microsoft server end.

If the update fails, try to update manually. If you get an error, immediately hit update again and see if it updates.

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out when I see my Grandson.
    It's just funny how the updates came OK until 2008, and suddenly failed every time after that. No error message appears. It acts like when a web page won't load.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for responding. We have tried to manually do the update from the Microsoft download updates page many times, but it just can't load like I said above, like a web page that just keeps trying to load but doesn't. As I mentioned, my Grandson tried since 2008. :p

8. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

MrBrian, Thanks for those repair solutions. Do you recommend one method over another? I thought I'd try the Microsoft method first. Would you? I will have to wait until I visit my Grandson to try to fix the problem. :)

10. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Windows upates can be a pain, in fact a friend had Vista go belly up on the last update, then I reinstalled the system, then when I went to update the sytem it gave me problems too.

I personally don't bother with Windows updates for my HOME boxes and I've never updated since using Win98 and I've never had a problem.

I just use the latest SP is all and for me it's just fine, you just need some experience, and some good security in place and you'll be fine. :)

11. MrBrian

You're welcome :). I would try the Microsoft Fixit with Default mode first. Perhaps make a system restore point or a full system backup first.

12. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Working on an XP PC now with a very similar problem and Dial-a-Fix seems to have sorted it.

Create partitions/Format/reinstall love job and I installed MSE first before Windows updates and things seemed screwed up.

Uninstalled MSE (and it's staying off), ran Dial-a-Fix and updates are working.

What destroyed the partition structure in the first place I have no idea?

13. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

besides all the other suggestions....i know it sounds maybe like something stupid but check the date and time of windows.. if the date and time are off they will also fail..i have seen this on customers computers many times.

also check the ms download page and see if you can download the updates manually then install them after that

14. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Wow, someone here led me to believe MSE was perfect and that it had to be something wrong with system. It's good to know that you're in the minority with me. No more MSE for me

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1705317&postcount=14

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1706215&postcount=23

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1706443&postcount=24

15. Franklin

This was a brand new install of XP home which needed just about every update up to and including SP3.

Everything activated and registered fine and I put MSE on first before any updates and it ran like a hairy goat.

There were memory spikes all over the place and lockups with MSE being the main prob.

Uninstalled MSE ran Dial-a-fix and everything seemed to settle down. Installed Avira after a billion gig of updates and still seems OK for a P4 3 gig HT 512 meg of ram.

Well it seemed like a billion gig, reboot after reboot after reboot. LOL :D

Dropped an image on it as I don't wanna go through all that again.

Edit:
    I have used MSE on other PC's and didn't have the probs above?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  16. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i will not use mse again myself way to many issues with it for me.

17. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Me too. My wife has it on her laptop x64 with no problems that I'm aware of. She may have the symptoms I describe but I don't notice it because it's not monitored the way it is on my setup. I monitor it on my desktop and it displays the high/cpu mem usage.

18. Franklin

Yep, I actually put MSE on a new Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit last Friday.

That machine was a new I7 8gig of ddr3 with AVG Inet Security installed.

It just seemed slow and clunky but after getting rid of AVG and installing MSE it was running like a nice machine of that calibre should run and no problems with updates.

19. MrBrian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.