microsoft update cd's

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by bigc73542, Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Just curious if anyone that ordered the update cd's have received them yet. I was notified that they were shipped by e-mail six days ago. I have not gotten them yet. not that big a deal though.

2. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

I got an e-mail on the 18th that it has been shipped and should arrive in 3-8 days.

3. bigc73542

I should have all the updates that I wan't . But I am curious about what trialware is supposed to be on the disc. ;)

Attached Files:

4. beetlejuice

Well except for the updates, I hope it's nothing that's "self installing". :p

5. bigc73542

Just supposed to be trialware option to install is what I read. ;)

6. beetlejuice

You don't think it could be a trial of Joe Bob do ya? :eek:

7. bigc73542

Ay dooo hope sooo y'alll :cool:

8. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Maybe they now have to save up to pay the EU this bill .

European Union states on Monday backed a proposal to fine Microsoft Corp. a record 497 million euros (US$613.5 million) for abusing its dominance of PC operating systems, an EU member state source said.

"It is 497 (million euros)," the source told Reuters.

If the full European Commission backs the fine as expected on Wednesday it would exceed the 462 million euro penalty imposed on Hoffman-La Roche AG in 2001 for being ringleader of a vitamin cartel.

Microsoft associate general counsel for Europe Horacio Gutierrez said in a statement the fine was unjustified.

"We believe it's unprecedented and inappropriate for the Commission to impose a fine on a company's US operations when those operations are already regulated by the US government and the conduct at issue has been permitted by both the Department of Justice and the US courts," he said.

Microsoft reiterated plans to appeal.

As well as the fine, Microsoft is to be ordered to offer a version of its Windows operating system without Windows Media Player and to encourage computer makers to provide other audiovisual software.

It must also license information to make the servers of rivals more compatible with Windows desktop machines.

The fine amounts to slightly more than one percent of Microsoft's roughly US$53 billion cash on hand and did not impress analysts and critics.

"This is a traffic ticket for Microsoft," said Thomas Vinje of Clifford Chance, who represents Microsoft critics.

Neil Macehiter, an analyst with London-based technology research firm Ovum, said even a US$3 billion fine would have been "an irritant to Microsoft but certainly wouldn't break the bank."

The absolute limit on a fine is 10 percent of annual turnover for the year before the decision, which for Microsoft would amount to US$3.43 billion. But the formula for calculating a fine means the limit is rarely reached.

Microsoft Rejects EU Findings

In Microsoft's view there is no reason it should be fined at all. Commission regulations say a company must infringe rules "either intentionally or negligently" to warrant a fine and Microsoft says it did neither.

The two sides held months of talks to find a settlement. Microsoft spokesman Tom Brookes said the very fact that the Commission rejected such a deal with the firm, in part to obtain a legal precedent, shows no precedent existed before, meaning such behaviour had not in the past been found to be anti-competitive.

In a case like this either a symbolic fine or none at all would be justified, Brookes said.

Microsoft is continuing to generate cash at a rapid rate, and on January 22 projected expected revenues of US$8.6 billion and operating income of US$3.1 billion for the current quarter.

In addition to the fine, two remedies requiring Microsoft to change its behaviour will be approved on Wednesday.

One will require Microsoft license at a reasonable fee more information so that rival makers of low-end servers will find their software as compatible with the Windows operating system as Microsoft's own servers.

Some reports say the Commission backed off a stronger remedy for fear of impinging on Microsoft's intellectual property.

The head of legal affairs at Sun Microsystems Inc., which initiated the current case in 1998, said taking away some of Microsoft's intellectual property might be an appropriate remedy, although the company had tried to elevate intellectual property to "the mystical and holy and untouchable."

"When considering a repeat law breaker, a logical approach is to have an asset of that lawbreaker, usually money, taken away in the form of a fine," said Lee Patch, head of Sun Microsystems legal affairs.

"What's so special about intellectual property? It's an asset like many other types."

9. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I got mine this past Saturday.

Two CD set, green, contains one-year free subscription to EZ AV and somebody's firewall program (sorry, haven't looked at it yet). Pete

10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

ain't seen mine yet ffs

11. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

WHAT UPDATE CD'S

12. sig

sig Registered Member

These update CD's: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=22187;start=0

13. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Ordered mine Feb. 17th and no sign of the CDS or any notification .... o_O Hopefully it's coming.

14. bigc73542

If you ordered that long ago and no cd's yet I would reorder. What am I talking about I did reorder. :D ;)

15. bigc73542

I just reordered the cd's again yesterday 03/23/04 I just checked the status and it is already listed as shipped. :D ;)

16. beetlejuice

That makes me wonder if this is for real? You know nothing MS makes works that fast. Well, except to break that is. ;)

17. Nick

Nick Registered Member

I got an email saying they were on the way and it would take 3-8 days to be received. That was a week ago.

18. Peaches4U

Thanks bigc, will do ... Actually I forgot about it until I read this thread. What would I do without you all. o_O :D

19. Peaches4U

Just re-ordered mine .... wonder what happened with the original order?? Thanks again for the reminder. :-*

20. DMo224

DMo224 Registered Member

I just put in my order today. Start the timer! :D

21. bigc73542

The update page said that my order had been fulfilled but I got an e-mail that said it had already shipped and they regretted any inconveniance caused by there having to back order more cd's. Any previous orders will also be fulfilled. :D

22. beetlejuice

So what you're saying is that your PC will run twice as good--err--umm--well, I guess that's not saying much is it? :D

23. bigc73542

I am one of the few people it seems that likes windows. :D I have tried some of the alternatives and I don't personally care for them. I really haven't had very many problems that were actually windows fault. it was usually some other companys software that screwed up. I don't like b. gates but I do like his companys software. :D :D ;)

24. bigc73542

that might get me kicked out of the linux club :D

25. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

would that be so bad?? *puppy*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.