Microsoft update bug?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SourMilk, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

After the 10 March 2009 Microsoft update for XP (Home XP SP3 here), I find I cannot enter the Safe Mode by pressing F8 at start up. I uninstalled update KB958690 and now it works. Check it out o_O
    SourMilk out

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

No f8 problems here with KB958690 installed on the same system, Home XP SP3.

3. SourMilk

Well, I guess I've tweaked my poor OS to the point of diminishing returns :'( . Guess it's time for a OS reinstall :p . (I really like these Smilies :) )
    SourMilk out

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Try another keyboard before you rebuild the house, just to be sure. :)

5. SourMilk

Thanks for the tip. I just tried but no cigar. It's time for a house cleaning anyway. My wife wants her computer back so I'll return later.
    SourMilk out

6. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Hi,

I have KB958690.

NO problems in my Windows XP Professional SP2.

SP2. NO problems:D

7. SourMilk

Thanks to all who replied.

Reinstalled my OS via image and it works now. A little warning and advice follows: I've found that too many installs, uninstalls, and registry cleaning will cause problems with your OS. I always keep 3 disk images as follows: 1) BARE - a fresh OS install without any drivers or programs; 2) BASE - Bare with drivers and programs I use; 3) RECENT - a recent image I keep monthly. If I am unsure of a problem or think my computer might be infected I can rapidly recover without doubt.

SourMilk out

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Good to hear you got it working, I never liked cigars anyway. :D

9. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

First thing about learning computers should be the basics of imaging,i suspect there is a global conspiracy at hand between all parties who have interest in hiding it cause they earn money to repair the machines. :D

But serious,its remarkable that the big vendors like MS apart from the pretty lame system restore never included a complete imaging solution to their OS.

Yes they provide volume shadow copy service but not something like an imaging app.of their own make.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  10. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Well, they do but they charge everyone up the wazoo for it. Good example is Ultimate which doesn't seem to be worth the extra $$. I mean, what the heck, for the difference in price over Premium, you could buy ShadowProtect and still save a few bucks.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

windows 7 pro will offer the imaging.

12. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

I wasn't aware of that but am glad to hear it. :) Hopefully, given the sheer number of versions, the price differential between 7 Home Premium and Pro will be less than that of Vista Home Premium and Ultimate.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the main versions microsoft will be pushing is windows 7 home premium and pro.
    ultimate will be rare and has all the enterprise features without having to have a enterprise license.

14. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I wasn't aware of it,but Yeah thanks to Storage Craft and friends we feel safe ! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.