Microsoft Store will stop accepting Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 apps on October 31

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Aug 20, 2018.

1. guest

guest Guest

Microsoft Store will stop accepting Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 apps on October 31
    August 20, 2018
    https://venturebeat.com/2018/08/20/...ows-8-and-windows-phone-8-apps-on-october-31/
    Windows Developer Blog
    Important dates regarding apps with Windows Phone 8.x and earlier and Windows 8/8.1 packages submitted to Microsoft Store
    August 20, 2018
    https://blogs.windows.com/buildinga...-8-8-1-packages-submitted-to-microsoft-store/

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

There they go again. Thank goodness for Android. One can see how fast they keep running away from their own releases. Short life spans so why waste good money toward temporary products they throw the towel in on so soon?

You either suck it up and get stuck with Windows 10 "their way" or hit the road in other words.

3. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

We all know how lackluster Windows 8 was. So, I can understand Microsoft wanting to cut ties from it.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Not only that, but you will still be able use regular desktop apps, on computers running Windows 8, so it's not a big deal in my opinion, considering how few people use universal apps.

5. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Yep, when Window 7 dies, I'll hit the road. Then no more Microsoft for me.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

No worry @ProTruckDriver. If you're speaking of Windows O/S, aside from these phones, Win 7 will be like Methuselah for you, Windows 8 for me :D

Couldn't care less if they run on over the cliff and never look back. Me Windows 8 will be percolating long after users bail out when something really goes down on 10 :argh: I don't wish bad karma on them, but seems they have a worse one track mind then EASTER. :cool:

7. guest

guest Guest

Windows 8 will no longer get app updates after this summer
    April 18, 2019
    https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-will-no-longer-get-app-updates-after-this-summer

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

As an IT professional I run the "latest and greatest" at all times to gain the knowledge of how it functions. I ran Windows 8/8.1 for the duration of its life (from its beginning until the next OS "replaced" it) but it will not be missed. I had better experiences with ME and Vista than I did with 8.

People complaining about the "Short" lifespan of modern OSes forget that it was much shorter between Windows 95/98/98 SE/ME/2000/XP. back when their intended lifespan was 2 years. It wan't until they dropped the ball going from XP to Vista (5 years) that things slowed down at all.

9. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Late 90's and early 2000s were different reality. Personal life, work and finances wasn't that much affected by Internet as it is now. Microsoft doesn't even care that much about regular consumer security when Windows XP was released. Finally things like Blaster worm infections forced Microsoft to care more about security of regular consumers and they released Service Pack 2.

10. xxJackxx

What!? You weren't on America Online!? :eek::D

11. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

No. I don't mean there were not Internet services, but you could live without Internet normal life easily.
    Also you're not going to tell me there were mobile payments such as Google Pay, Apple Pay and mobile banking apps back in 90's.

12. xxJackxx

I disagree. Many people in those days were on the internet all of the time as it was new and exciting for them.

No, there were no mobile apps, there were barely cell phones. Which are no argument for the perceived short lifespan of an OS when mobile OSes are outdated annually.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.