Microsoft starts sidelining AV vendors....

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, not really a new story as it was discussed on DSLReports too, but anyway, I would like to have your opinion on this matter.

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/061012/#story1

If Microsoft continues hiding security vulnerabilities from other vendors so it can provide detection for OneCare first (therefore claiming "fastest reaction time"), then its going to be a bad, bad thing. I wouldn't expect Symantec or McAfee to remain quiet about this either, so we should expect a battle of the lawyers in the coming years. :ninja:

2. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

Thanks for that link and info. This is something I had been hearing about for awhile but never this much detail about it. I mentioned in previous posts, my concerns for AVs ability to run or be effective on Vista but never really had any replies on the subject. I would have though something as radical as what MS is doing with locking access to the kernel would spark some real active threads here. Hopefully your good post here will be the start of one. I for one would like to know as much as possible on this before vista becomes available and we have to make the choice of whether or not it is a good idea to upgrade.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Microsoft sets Vista meeting with security companies
    Article

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Yet another reeason for switching to MAC or Linux.

Here's a thought -- what if the OneCare proponents *created* a security vulnerability, in order that they could be the first to "protect against it?"

But they would never do that, of course.;)

5. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Personally, I wouldn't read too much into it.

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'm not installing OneCare anyway, but I can understand the furore over the Vista kernel issue. It seems Microsoft are relenting and letting vendors see the code. However, I believe some say they are dragging their heels over this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.