Microsoft sneaks Firefox add-on

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Gen, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gen

Gen Registered Member

I'm not sure people saw this, did a quick search and found no threads about it.

Here's the link: http://www.threatpost.com/blogs/microsoft-sneaks-firefox-add-without-user-knowledge

I removed the extension myself, was absolutely unaware that M$ installed it, I thought it came with one of the Firefox update o_O
    How can I even trust them in trying their new Morro AV..

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

Gen, similar discussion in this February '09 Wilders thread: Microsoft Updates Firefox?

3. arran

arran Registered Member

a bit surprising for microsoft to do this. but can easily be prevented or removed. Microsoft has done a lot of Dumb things in the passed and this is just another one of them.

If it was a security product that I was using which did this then I would be more worried.

4. arran

arran Registered Member

the Microsoft Operating system itself is not a security product, it is rather a tool to enable you to run programs on whether it be games browsers or what ever.

So because the Microsoft Operating system is not a security product and because there is nothing else to use I will always be using Microsoft OS.

5. arran

arran Registered Member

I do do updates from Microsoft. But I have Automatic Updates disabled because of this very reason. I first wait for reports like this thread before I download the latest updates, same policy with every other product on my pc automatic updates turned off.

6. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

Indeed, even the date on the blog says May, we're in July.

7. Gen

Gen Registered Member

Yea there's a huge date gap here, it's probably why I (and maybe others) missed it.

8. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

In the last round of Windows Updates (or perhaps the one before that) Microsoft issued a fix to allow the add-on to be uninstalled. It does, however, still install.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.