Microsoft Security Essentials

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by shitu, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shitu

shitu Registered Member

Greetings.
    I want to know is Microsoft Security Essentials compatible with ESET Smart Security? I mean is it safe to install both programs or not?
    Thanks for replying.

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

No! ESS includes antivirus. You should never install two realtime antivirus programs, they will conflict and neither of them will work properly or can even leave your computer unbootable.

3. falke69

falke69 Registered Member

Hallo shito,

I tried it and had no problems. But I must agree to doktornotor. In most cases it makes no sense to install two AV because of interactions of both.

4. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Please read statement from MSE Moderator & MS MVP

6. shitu

shitu Registered Member

Alright, got it.
    Thanks a lot everyone.
    Again, ESET's forum rocks.

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Yes I've seen MSE and NOD32 v4 collidge..and cause the CPU to peg at 100%.
    Uninstalling MSE...got rid of the problem. And visa versa. Even unchecking the real time protection of MSE didn't help. It was one of the Eset services that was flooring the CPU.
    Installing them both again..problem came right back. This was end of last year, around December or so, perhaps program or def updates got rid of the issue....but regardless, as is usually said, you should never have 2x AV products installed at the same time.

8. dwmtractor

dwmtractor Registered Member

This is not unique to ESET or MSE, either. You haven't seen a computer die until you've seen one with both Symantec and McAfee on it. . .:D

One might be tempted to accuse the vendors of some kind of conspiracy, but that would not be reasonable. Think about it. The purpose of any antivirus program is to be deep under the hood monitoring--and in many cases blocking--anything else that tries to be that deep under the hood. That's bound to result in conflicts, because any antivirus program worth its salt, when it encounters anything else probing that deep, is going to be suspicious.

Multi-layer security is good, but what makes it good is that the different layers are watching different sorts of processes and/or doorways.

9. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Try Symantsuck, McCrapee, and AVG...yes...all 3 at the same time! I just ran across a laptop with that about 3 months ago. Oh yeah..the laptop was an el cheapo model too...a freaking Celeron with a 5,400rpm hard drive..2 gigs of RAM, and Vista. Oh yeah..shoot me now! Trial of McGufee, naturally long expired. And then someone installed Symantec Corporate Edition (probably pirated as most are when you see SymCE on a home machine)..version 9. And then they took it to some computer guy who installed AVG..and left the other 2 installed.

I could have painted the GoldenGate Bridge with a toothbrush in the time it took that pig to boot up and move around.

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Rofl........... :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.