Microsoft Security Essentials-What sets it apart?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sportsfan7700, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    I struggled with this topic last night, laying in bed as to whether or not to post this, but decided to. All I ask is we keep this discussion civil. (Not going A versus B)

-With the vast amount of free antiviruses out there that offer free protection, (Avast, Avira, Panda, Etc). They all seem to lack components that you need a paid version for. (Firewalls, protection from spam emails, hacker protection).

-It seems like although Microsoft Security Essentials (at least to me) has the most complete protection without the need for extra components, though you could certainly pay for them if you wanted to. My question is what sets Microsoft Security Essentials apart so they do not need to add the extras like the products above.

Matt

2. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I honestly don't think anything sets it apart. I would be hesitant to use any AV(free or paid) that does not have a behavior blocker, unless I pair with with some layered protection.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

it is a great product made by a large company with vast resources. Need I say more.;)

It is my second choice after trying the new beta version. When it comes out of beta and people see how much of a difference there is, end of story.:thumb:

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Now Jeff, don't tell me that you are using Dr Web.o_O :D
    Regards,
    Jerry

5. clocks

clocks Registered Member

How is it different? Performance, detection, features, etc... I have tried the beta twice, and was not impressed either time.

6. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

I think MSE does have some kind of behavior blocker which works in the background without popups o_O :doubt: What can be added to MSE apart from sandboxie,shadowdefender etc. for layered protectiono_O I dont know if any HIPs or behavior blockers work nicely with MSE :doubt: .

7. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Oh wow, maybe you are right. If it does, it sure is not very effective against zero day stuff.

8. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

But it ain't less effective than it's direct competitors in my opinion (maybe Panda cloud is though, and AVG could be when they include IDP; but the others + a lot of paid aren't).

9. brainrb1

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  10. clocks

clocks Registered Member

11. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Well , it is the same as other products mentioned above (avast,AVG , Panda) . MSE doesn't have firewall , anti-spam , link scanner , extras . This makes it no different than the others . They don't add extra features because they already added them (a.k.a Microsoft has a firewall , Microsoft has anti-spam , Microsoft has anti-phishing , etc...)

Microsoft Security Essentials is a security product and it relies strictly on other Microsoft technologies . It relies on your Windows firewall (built-in XP,Vista,7) . It relies on Microsoft update to make sure you are completely patched-updated. It relies on the phishing filter and Smart Screen integrated in Internet Explorer . As for anti-spam - such is built-in their Windows Live Mail (mail client) , same in their web-based mail (Windows Live Hotmail).
    Microsoft have parental controls (both in Internet Explorer and built-in Vista/7) .

So , it has pretty much everything. Just because you have Windows , you are Microsoft client , who may decide to rely on MS technologies.

It is pure , that is it .

12. brainrb1

The beta is v 2.0.375.0 ( no new version upgrades that i know) they did upgrade the engine some days back (17th sep).

13. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

That is indeed true, blaming Microsoft for offering only one layer - antivirus - is not true. All the others are included (the above mentioned, but also UAC, DEP, SEHOP, System Restore and Backup functions etc.), but normal pc users don't experience it that way. They believe AVG and Symantec when those companies state that users need an Internet Security suite to have maximum protection, and that MSE is useless for that reason.

14. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Read up on the soon to be released next version. Merging it more with the firewall, browser, etc etc...it's quite a "next step" in the evolution of the product. BETA is avail of this new release.

To answer the OPs question...since the original BETA came out, I've found what sets it apart:
    *No nags...no prompts to upgrade to the pro version, no advertisement popups, it just quietly does its job in the background
    *No need to register the product, and/or renew it
    *Very simple and easy to use interface, great for the freebie jobs I do for "home users". When it detects something, it has a very easy hand holding dialog box that walks them through the rest of the process.

15. brainrb1

The beta MSE is real nice.The only thing that bugs me is the icon turning red for few sec. sometimes :) .

16. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/4009/1097290-i_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg

17. lws

lws Registered Member

I had the same problem after bootup. The MSE icon would stay red in so far that the Windows Security alert window would pop up and state that "no antivirus software is running". Then, eventually the MSE does turn green. Wondering why such a long delay. I am in XP Pro SP3 and wondering if that is normal for MSE and XP Pro.

18. brainrb1

I think because it's a beta product . When it goes final, Microsoft will have fixed it by then hopefully :) For me it only happens sometimes.

19. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

That pretty much covers it,I'd just add unmatched knowledge of the platform that it's running on to the mix.

20. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

Seriously ??!!

21. clocks

clocks Registered Member

For this reason, I am surprised the program is not lighter (in all facets).

22. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    Qak,

Only because I've been around here a while and have seen how some threads can go off topic. That's all I meant. :)

23. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Don't get 3GUSER going by even slightly criticising his beloved Norton by hinting the parent company misleads people!

24. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

When I "love" a given software (OMG!) I am objective when I do so. I would prefer if you refrain from using such words .

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It is light. It is time for people to quit associating ram usage with just how a product works. I have seen some with very little ram usage that felt like cement bricks. Dr Web uses about 150k on this machine but is just as light as Avast which uses about 12k. Go figure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.