Microsoft Security Essentials Prerelease[06 Feb 2013]

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ronjor, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29942&WT.mc_id=rss_alldownloads_all

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Microsoft and changelogs are like a married couple.

3. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Newly wed or old couple?
    With children or without?

:p

4. robinb9

robinb9 Registered Member

I do not get it
    If Microsoft is upgrading MSE, then why did they not set up Windows Defender in Windows 8 like MSE and put in a scheduler also! It is basically the same program with a bunch of extra features for Windows 8
    All they had to do is keep the name and just say MSE for XP/Vista/Windows 7
    and MSE for Windows 8. Or they could have called it Microsoft Security Essentials 8, or something like that.

robin

5. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

I could be wrong – but maybe a sly marketing ploy by Microsoft.

Windows Defender (in the past) was not treated seriously as an AV by the major AV vendors so complaints by them about Microsoft unfairly packaging Defender with Windows faded away.
    With MSE – (a better product than old Defender – I think) users had to download the program.

Now – new Defender (which most people seem to think is MSE renamed) is packaged with Windows 8 – hardly a murmur from AV vendors!

Now - Microsoft may well 'improve' MSE to the point where it may become equal to the top AVs. So if new Defender\MSE are the same (just different names) - by association, Defender may well squeeze out other AV vendors from Windows 8 – and with 'new' MSE for Windows 7 - assume an even bigger market share than now.
    Then it will be too late for AV vendors to complain! (MSE pre-release may be first step in this process)

Just my 5 cents worth!

6. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Anyone who has tested AV programs knows not to depend on MSE.

7. er34

er34 Guest

The scheduler in Windows Defender in Windows 8 - there is one. It is called "Automatic maintanance" and is part of Windows Action Center. Open Action Center -> Maintance and you'll see it.
    This functions takes care of HDD defragmentation, of Windows Update, of Windows Defender update, of performing security scans and things like that. All in one.

There are other functions which can be accessed via the Windows Registry for advanced users only.

• Windows Defender, Windows Intune, Microsoft Security Essentials, Forefront Endpoint Protection, System Center Endpoint Protection => they are all the same program -> Microsoft Security Clients bringing different branding/marketing name.
      They share the same Engine and definitions , they share the MAPS, which is the most important part.

OFFERING different names has its own meaning.
    • It is called Windows Defender in Windows ( 8 ) because the name contains "windows" which doubles the feeling of being part of the OS-of Windows. Defending Windows means it is part of Windows and it defends the OS - defends the brand Windows.
    • Microsoft Security Essentials - again for Windows - but not part of it. This one says it provides essentials protection and comes from Microsoft. This one defends the Microsoft brand.
    • The business versions comes with "Endpoint Protection" to bold this meaning for businesses. The "Forefront" and "System Center" means it is part of other Microsoft business tools.

8. er34

er34 Guest

Again and again the same story - Microsoft security programs *were never meant to be used alone*, as the testing organizations do.

Windows Defender/MSE are meaned to be used with other Windows Desktop/home OS features such as ELAM, Trusted boot, Smart screen filter for IE, Smart Screen filter for Windows, User Account Control, Protected mode, etc.... microsoft.com/protect

The busuiness security programs from Microsoft - e.g. System Center Endpoint Protection 2012 is combined with Windows Server and Windows Desktop security features + the System Center software family, Windows AppLocker, and others. My university I study in uses this combo and it is very powerful.

This combo which no AV testing organization tests will guarantee almost 100% protection.

9. guest

guest Guest

Sums up my thoughts exactly.

10. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I call BS. Maybe Win Defender wasn't, but I believe MSE was designed to be your sole AV program. Can you send me information from MS that shows otherwise?

I don't see anything mentioning it is a companion program, or should be used with other unique settings 99.9% of PC users don't know about. I've installed MSE a number of times, and never remember it recommending I setup "secure boot" or "Protected mode", etc...

http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download

Windows Defender has been installed by default on most PCs over the last 5+ years, and it doesn't appear to have done much to stop the spread of viruses.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  11. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

Most of those features are turned on by default, aren't they? My complaint with MSE is it's hit and miss updating.

12. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Installed MSE pre-release - typically weird Microsoft nomenclature - Version stated as 4.2.216.0, yet MSE tells me it is Version 4.2.223.1 and this confirmed by 'Properties' and software that lists installed programs. o_O

Definition updates about 80MBs - so total MSE install is around 92+MBs for those who wish to know. Now need to wait for first performance reviews to see if there has been any improvement in detection, etc.
    (and whether I've wasted my time installing this pre-release! :p )

13. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Odd that the thread was started in this forum and not the Other AV forum.

14. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

Ask the mod.

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

He can comment if he wants to.

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download

17. Someguy

Someguy Registered Member

Just did the following automatic Windows7 update:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.