Microsoft Says Windows 8 Won't Require Hardware Upgrades

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

http://www.geek-news.net/2011/07/microsoft-says-windows-8-wont-require.html

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

As always I can't wait. I've seen the beta builds/ screenshots and I love some of the new features.

3. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

good to know, thanks for the info :)

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm saving up for a Mac. ;)

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Haha, I get the joke - because that requires a complete hardware change and hardware lock.

Imagine having to pay for service packs like Lion though :oops:

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Daveski17, look at this if you have the time ;)

7. Daveski17

Thanks, yes of course, Linux is a very viable alternative. I'm pretty sure when it comes time to replace my notebook I will get a Chromebook.

8. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

people are still using xp because they can't upgrade to vista/7, and they will still not upgrade to windows 8 for the same reason.
    If windows 8 wanted to be successful, they made sure it could also run on what xp could run. ie maybe retrograde the OS instead of making the hardware work with the OS.
    The majority of people/business are cheap, they run there equipment till it breaks down than upgrade. Computers are like fridges they last a long time and are easy to repair.
    Microsoft need to get with the program, currently they are trying to force people to buy new computers to run its "fancypants" OS. That stragedy is not working to well so far.

9. Hungry Man

lol no, they should not downgrade the OS just so that people with 10 year old hardware can run it. 1GHZ CPU + 1GB of RAM... that is not unreasonable. If Windows 8 brought the RAM minimum requirement to 768MB all the better, but companies shouldn't have to be held back.

10. tonyf1971

tonyf1971 Registered Member

Good to know i put a Win 8 install on my current PC and move my win 7 license to my Mac ;)

11. elapsed

But by they way they are advertising it, you might be able to run win8 on xp machines.

12. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

that doesnt really make much sense, id assume people that cant afford (or are too cheap to shell out, what like $500 for a new laptop) also would not spend the money to buy a new OS separately to put on an old machine even if it did support it...

13. Daveski17

Is $500 for a new laptop cheap where you live? My notebook cost me just over £400 about three years ago & it was considered a good buy. It was not a particularly expensive machine compared to others I could have bought (it was all I could really afford at the time anyway). That's about $645 (US), I am not sure what that translates into Canadian dollars.

14. firzen771

well there are many diff kinds of laptops for various prices, but u can find new laptops for pretty cheap prices, some lower than $500 as well sometimes, and yes i do consider $500 to be cheap for a new laptop.

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

What are those?

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I agree. USD 500 is cheap in India. A Dell laptop Intel Core I3, 500 GB HDD, 4 GB DDR3, 15.6" LED screen goes for about USD 800 in local currency. I'm not sure of the Win version pre-installed.

Anyway, it doesn't matter since I've moved on and won't be irritating people with comments about MS Windows.

17. tgell

tgell Registered Member

$800? That is a pretty steep price. I just noticed an Acer AMD E-350 laptop with 4GB or ram and a 500GB hard drive for $400 at Staples. This is with ATI Radeon HD 6310 Graphics.

18. Hungry Man

And those are laptops...

You can get a desktop with more than enough to run Windows 7 for like... 100 bucks. A P4 + 2GB of RAM is fine for Windows 7.

19. firzen771

exactly, so the people complaining about "o if only microsoft would support our ancient computers" really arent very relevent concerns because clearly if the issue is money, they wont be going out to BUY the new OS (if they do get the new OS it certainly wont be purchased legally...)

20. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Microsoft needs to get it thru their greedy minds that people don't have the money to replace perfectly good hardware every time they want to release a new OS. There's no good reason that an OS should need several gigabytes of disk space and a gigabyte of RAM or more just to run itself. This policy of deliberately bloating the OS in order to push hardware sales gives people or businesses 2 choices:
    1, Spending money they don't have to replace equipment that works just fine.

or

2, Using an unsupported OS and putting themselves and their data at risk because MS also coerces the software vendors into dropping support for the system.

Their policies of planned obsolescense combined and continously bloating the operating systems are directly responsible for untold thousands of functional but artificially obsolete PCs being thrown out, introducing who knows how many tons of lead, arsenic, and other toxic chemicals into landfills. Proper recycling facilities are few and far between. Microsoft should bear the total cost of properly recycling and disposing of all those PCs, since their policies are directly responsible for their being thrown out.

21. Hungry Man

Uh, they're not deliberately bloating the OS. That's literally a baseless opinion. The article suggests the opposite, that they're working to trim it.

The requirements for Win7 make perfect sense. 1GB of RAM + 1ghz CPU is something you'll find in a damn phone today. Finding a PC with those specs will cost you LESS than the operating system itself.

edit: Furthermore, software developers should not be limited by the monetary constraints of a minority consumer.

AND even XP is still being supported for a while. It's old as hell but still gets security updates, you aren't forced to move to a new OS.

22. elapsed

Gotta agree with Hungry_Man. It's was obvious with Win7 and even more obvious with Win8 that they are working hard at making Windows far more efficient, probably as a lesson from the Vista experience.

23. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

That's good news as far as I'm concerned.:thumb:

24. guest

guest Guest

Windows is one of the most bloated piece of software
    I have ever seen

And it just gets worst on every new release
    I have to go in and dissect it every time I upgrade
    running windows XP now but it is a stripped version

25. Hungry Man

I think the point is that it isn't getting worse... it's getting better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.