Microsoft says SpywareGuard is spyware

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Peggy Davis, Mar 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peggy Davis

Peggy Davis Guest

I got a pop-up today from Microsoft Explorer warning that SpywareGuard was on my computer (it is) and noting that SpywareGuard is itself spyware which tracks keystrokes and passwords. True or not?

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

That's entirely incorrect. SpywareGuard detects spyware - it isn't spyware itself.

Are you sure it was Microsoft Internet Explorer showing the pop-up? Do you recall exactly what you were doing (or where you were browsing) at the time the window was displayed? What third-party security software do you have installed?

Thanks in advance. :) I'd love to find out who is behind that message. :mad:

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. spinner

spinner Guest

What is the difference between SpyWareGuard and Spywareblaster.

4. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Hi spinner,

Visit here

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=18132;start=msg111835#msg111835

and there you are you also know now the differences :)

take care

5. sig

sig Registered Member

Don't know what you saw, but I'm guessing it' s some sleazy outfit's new way to get its crap on users' PC's (if they've been foiled by SpywareGuard) by generating such a message to get users to uninstall it. And then the user would be unprotected.

And no, MS doesn't say SG is spyware. If IE had the capacity to ID spyware and announce it to users (which it doesn't) obviously there would be far less need for apps like SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster.

My guess is it's a popup on the internet made to look like an IE or MS alert by sleazoids who are trying to scare/lure users into taking down their protection against spyware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.