Microsoft plans major platform upgrades for “Windows 12” that will modernize the OS

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rasheed187, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I must admit that this sounds quite interesting. I'm all for a smaller sized Windows with better security.

https://www.windowscentral.com/soft...ows-corepc-modern-platform-hudson-valley-2024

2. Rasheed187

BTW, can anyone explain how this would work in practice, I can't fully visualize it. For example, how would a ''state separated platform'' tackle malware?

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

"dont call it windows"

german discussion
    https://www.drwindows.de/news/beric...t-an-einem-modularen-und-abgespeckten-windows

Windows 365 Cloud-PC, in german
    https://www.drwindows.de/xf/threads...dienst-und-kommt-auf-smart-tvs-von-lg.184644/

From WaaS to W365. there is more money to grab with services and no free upgrade.

not sure how long the long known "windows" will last, currently there exists some tools to reduce windows to the max. with Win11 MS only offers a 64-bit windows only which is the first needed step, anyhow it can run 32-bit programs, still contains the internet explorer engine, windows media player and some unwanted more. if they would make such first steps and remove the futile parts it would be still a windows.

4. Rasheed187

Not sure what you mean, because if you read the article, the new Win12 will still be able to support old skool 32 bit apps. But apparently Win 12 will become more secure because apps will not be able to modify certain parts of the filesystem, I wonder if this will also tackle ransomware. And this also means that updating and resetting Windows should become more smooth.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1674397/microsoft-windows-12-corepc-hudson-valley-rumor.html

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I just hope the Operating System 12 itself will become noticeably more Snappy!

6. Brummelchen

the next windows - the # 12 is not given from microsoft* - should be modular in many ways. a smaller base could mean faster, maybe faster.

* its project is called "corepc", and currently nothing else.
    in fact "Windows 11" do not really exists, it sends "Windows 10" to the web.
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/a.../windows-11-build-ver-is-still-10-0-22000-194
    and this one may also fail with the next windows version:
    i am pretty sure that the maybe so called "Windows 12" (for users general understanding and easy numbering), might be a 10.0.24000 (or similar).

for the modules - at least the internet explorer core engine is supported until 2028/2029, as long with one of the LTSC branches. (next LTSC arrives in 2024, 3 years period). i would guess that around this time the next windows level will reach us.

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Whenever I recommended this for new systems, people called me crazy, yet there are many advantages, you can dump the system at any time, but the data is safe. Also system backups are small and can be stored on other partitions.

User permissions are great way to protect data. For example ransomware generally uses SYSTEM, deny it write permissions and it can not encrypt files, tested it on my live system. If they lock permissions, it will work as advertised.

Attached Files:

8. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Sounds a bit like Android's A and B partitions. If Windows is installed on both, it boots into A. Then it can install updates into B without needing to reboot during updating as B is not in use. Then when it is finished, a quick reboot into B is enough to start using the updated files.
    I guess that in addition to the A and B system partitions, there is then also a third partition for the user and third party apps. If A and B are then made read-only, it is harder for malware to modify system files.

9. XIII

XIII Registered Member

10. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

If ransomware has SYSTEM permission won't it just re-mount filesystem with read-write permissions and re-own files?
    Currently this is rather extremely rare configuration, so I guess current malware may not implement that re-mount and re-own "features". It may be a different matter when those systems become mainstream

11. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:
    CPUs have gone from MHz to GHz, RAM from MB to GB, and storage from MB to GB to TB, I don't think it will get better from here. The move to .NET based software put an end to any kind of performance on a PC. I like your idea but I'm not expecting them to even try.

12. Brummelchen

dotNET is an overall platform for windows, Linux, maybe more. one code, several targets. there is nothing bad on it. and dotNEt is only one of those platforms. it simplyfies developing. i dont see any evidence not to like it. and ofc if you install programs using ancient/older versions you need to keep such older NET builds in windows. it depends on developer which build he uses, if a software still need 3.5 you are forced to install it, or drop program. i dont need 3.5 for example so i cannot use programs for this build, 3.5 is ancient.

anyhow what i dont like is to install several VC+ libs over and over again, its similar to dotNET 3.5.

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Yeah i must agree with that assessment. I expect the only real improvements will be Windows Defender AV and Edge since those 2 items seem to be their strongest O/S selling points. GUI not so much and they definitely don't want to disrupt Imaging Vendors Industry so we will see System Restore carried on over as well.

14. xxJackxx

The fact that you need any of these runtimes proves my point. A bunch of pre-built junk to make development faster... it works for that. But it is also why we need this exponential leap in processing power and storage. The days of actually compiling code into an efficient and small executable is gone. Windows 98 took 200MB of disk space. How many tens of GBs do Windows 10 or 11 take? And that's with nothing else installed. Sure the graphics are a little better. But it certainly does not run thousands of times faster. And we've looked into multiple platforms. It certainly is not as easy as writing the code once and distributing to Linux and MacOS. I wish it was. Especially when a database backend is needed. You can kinda do SQL Server on Linux, but it certainly isn't worth the effort for products you sell to retail customers. If you had asked me 25 years ago what I thought computing would look like today, I certainly expected it to make more progress than it has. It requires exponentially faster hardware. The security issues are actually worse. Database driven apps are as bad as they ever were (latency, locked records, etc.) It looks like science fiction will stay science fiction. The greatest innovation of recent times is AI that lies to us.

15. Rasheed187

OK thanks, didn't know this about Android. And yes, macOS is a bit more advanced with this SIP feature. I believe SIP should also make it harder to pull off BYOVD attacks, see link.

https://cybernews.com/security/bring-your-own-vulnerable-driver-attack/

16. Rasheed187

Yes, you guys are right, Win 8 is more snappy than Win 10, and I wouldn't be surprised if Win 10 is more snappy than Win 11, so performance is actually getting worse, while hardware is actually getting faster. Hopefully Win 12 will become more lightweight but I'm not counting on it, because it would require MS to get rid of many BS services, which they probably use to spy/collect data.

17. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Windows 11 is noticeably snappier than Windows 10, but not as fast as Windows 8.

18. Brummelchen

it only proves your view to the things like that.
    windows only contains a lot of libs because programmers have the choice to stick with its developer level, or move onto the next level.

and its a kinda joke to compare windows 98 with windows 11.
    in your case i would say - dont use windows, or stick with windows 98. why dont you?

19. xxJackxx

Pretty much true of anything anyone says.

20. Brummelchen

21. xxJackxx

I work for a software company, which leads me to have to use and support many things I do not care for.

22. Brummelchen

thx. so you have a live view where it is heading towards. but at least we cannot run away from its current state or we will quit windows. the next windows may be smaller and sneaker - and more secure:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T6ClX-y2AE
    short story: MS is converting parts of its kernel from C/C++ to RUST.

since Win10 reached the end of feature updates this only is applied to Win11 and newer.

23. Brummelchen

edit: RUST starts ~43:37.
    PS mixing personal and business knowledge and views may have wrong impressions to other users.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.