Microsoft Patch Tuesday & Windows Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheKid7, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am still using Windows XP Pro and have had my Windows Update set at "Notify me but don't automatically download and install them" for many years. A strange thing occurred today. Somehow my settings for Windows Update got changed back to "Automatic".

I know for sure that no person made the changes to my PC.

I wonder if Microsoft switched the Windows Update settings back to "Automatic".

Has anyone had this occur?

Thanks in Advance.

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I've seen that happen on XP before. Not much you can do but change it back and occasionally check on it. o_O

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

It happened to me countless times, sometimes when you install new MS software it asks you about the Update settings and recommends you to set it in Automatic and by mistake you click yes. :rolleyes:
    I even think sometimes it doesn't even asks and changes it to Automatic but thats another story . . .

4. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Update killed Aero... I had to stop and restart the service

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

He wasnt talking about the update screwing up Aero. :D

6. encus

encus Registered Member

It happened to my Win 8 Pro computer also! Just be careful when you install M$ program.

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I just checked (Windows 7) and it's set to automatically update? I could swear it was on manual...

8. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Pardon folks but is there any specific reason or concern why you don't want to allow the automatic MS updates? I thought that security and improvement patches are desired. Never had any issues running the updates automatically on XP and Vista. So just curious.

9. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Use of light virtualization programs (Returnil, Shadow Defender, etc.).

10. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

This happened to me. Since I like to run a tidy ship I have CCleaner set to automatically run at startup. In the Custom settings I have C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download listed to be cleaned of all subfolders and files. If Windows Updates is set to automatic and is downloading files as CCleaner is cleaning that folder at startup then CCleaner will run continuously because as Microsoft is downloading files CCleaner is deleting them. That's why I set Windows Updates to notify me but don't download them.

This is on Win 8 Pro 64 bit.

Later...

11. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I keep Automatic Updates in the Security Center turned off always and it's never turned back on without my consent, not saying it couldn't happen though. I leave the Windows Update service turned on and then I can use the website for updates on, or sometime after, patch Tuesday. If you want to be sure updates are available, just wait three or four days after patch Tuesday.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Many people have had issues with various updates and that has made them wary of new updates. A lot of people also like to hold off and wait a few days or so to see if there are issues on a new update with other people..

13. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Thanks chaps for all your replies which give me sense. So it looks like I am an exception having no issues with the automatic updates.

14. guest

guest Guest

No, you are not! :D - I never had or just can't remember :D any problems with MS Updates (always on automatic and additionally checking manually often) on my own systems or others I watch over and I prefer security holes fixed ASAP (at the same moment they are released, not hours or even days later). Maybe that's one reason for -> me never getting infected with malware? :p

15. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I have AppGuard installed with a setting of Full Protection. It is my understanding that Full Protection is still supposed to all for the proper installation of Microsoft Patches. However, I would rather Turn Off AppGuard, Update Windows, Restart the PC followed by setting AppGuard to Full Protection.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Not really.. I have had pretty good luck with them also. Once in a great while something weird happens, but then MS usually fixes it and all is ok. But apparently there are some who have issues...

17. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Yeah, honestly I am quite paranoid as regards the updates and patches. I keep updated all my installed applications. Lately Java and Adobe Flash are mostly drawing my attention :D

18. niki

niki Registered Member

All updates went without a hitch. It offered an optional update to IE10 (which I believe is an RTM) and I installed it.

Years ago on XP when windows update released IE8, I used the blocking tool in preventing that update since I had read that many people had problems with the IE8. After some time I just unblocked the IE8 to let it update to IE8.

I do have automatic update of windows but I always am ahead of those updates on Patch Tuesday by doing a manual update rather than waiting for them.

19. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I've definitely seen this happen before too, yes. The only way to make sure it won't again is to disable Automatic Updating & BITS in your services. It won't happen then, rest assured. I even tweak a GP setting to disable WU as well, and toggle it once a month to allow me to receive updates to go the extra mile.

Why to do it?... besides VM's, because you don't like the idea behind something called "Backround Intelligent Transfer Service", which basically states that it does random things behind your back without your knowledge or consent. There are other reasons too... but I'd go with that one if I had to pick just one.

Not to mention it's a matter of principle. Nothing should be changing your settings except for you. There's a name for things that do that... it's called "malware". Whether you feel that auto updating is advantageous or not, that is downright shady and poor practice.

20. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I have WU disabled on XP and W7. I havent done the updates yet but the settings have not been changed in my computers.

@Pegas, I prefer to wait a few days, ten days, to allow Microsoft to pull out or change any released update that causes issues or breaks usability with an important program. It might not happen very often but it happens. I feel better not doing updates right away.

Bo

21. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Huh, mine is now set to "download updates but let choose whether to install them." I typically set it to notify me but not to download until I decide.

22. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I don't have auto updates since there are certain updates i try to avoid . . . such as the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool etc. :D

23. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I just noticed that if you look at the "about" menu for IE10, there is a checkbox to install new versions automatically, and it was checked for me. Since IE is updated via Windows Update, maybe that has something to do with it.

Although, the OP mentioned he is still on XP, so that shouldn't apply to him.

24. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Like others have noted, it isn't unheard of for it to happen, but maybe it happened to you because you have it set to "notify but don't" download. Why not try the full OFF setting? I have had it set that way (OFF) for years and never had it change on me, on several XP machines. It's just possible that the mysterious change takes place only with the "notify but don't" setting.
    Good way to proceed, Bo. :thumb: I used to follow the same routine, careful not to jump too soon on Patch Tuesday, lest I get whacked by a bad update. But as time went by, I slowly allowed myself to get away from that practice in order to take immediate advantage of the various patches. Thanks to your posting about it, I have decided to get back to the smart idea of waiting a week or 10 days to see if any updates are causing problems.
    As I always like to say, Bo knows! ;)

25. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Thanks Page and Bo,

I could reconsider to give the updates grace period let's say a few days. However Tuesday's updates mean that in fact they are downloaded and installed in my case on Wednesday afternoon what gives 18 hours or so to discover if any problems occurred. So every second Wednesday in a month (before installation of patches) I visit a few dedicated forums to check that everything's alright with patches. Believe that within these hours are all critical bugs detected and reported by users, so I can decide if to go on with updates or wait.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.