Microsoft Outlook 2013 alternatives

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jo3blac1, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

I currently have Microsoft Outlook 2013 version but I am going to buy a new laptop soon and probably sell the old one. What are some FULLY featured alternatvies paid or free.

Obviously I want something that's very similar to Microsoft Outlook. I am not looking for anything as basic as postbox or something that is no longer updated such as Thunderbird. I don't mind paying money but for a license that's transferable from computer to computer. I wish there was Open Office equivalent of Outlook but there isn't. So what are my options besides paying for a license to Microsoft every time I buy a new laptop.

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

As far as I can find, Thunderbird is still updated, just at a lower priority than previously.

My first pick for a free Outlook replacement would be Windows Live Mail. It obviously does not have all of the features of Outlook, but for email it is more than sufficient.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I like Outlook best myself, but if I couldn't use that, then I'd say next best is Live Mail...

4. jo3blac1

Yeah but I am looking for something with more features than Windows Live Mail. Again, I don't mind paying for a license.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok.. Personally, I don't think there are any decent alternatives to the MS products... They are the best IMO, and nothing else comes close.... Just my 2 cents, sorry I can't be more helpful...

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

You would have to define "full featured" compared to bloated software.

A fellow former MS MVP, suggests Claws Mail is the bees knees.

I do a lot of mail support and personally do not recommend Windows Live Mail over the long term.

I currently use Mozilla Thunderbird although it is not a full-featured email client, although it replaced Outlook Express very well.

7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

8. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Have you considered an Office 365 subscription ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_2013#Comparison

Allows Office to be installed on more devices and not tied to any specific device.

Cheers, Nick

9. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

We're heading into a world of subscriptions. Music, video, and now software. It's quite unfortunate.

11. er34

er34 Guest

Outlook.com web based mail or Windows Live Mail 2012 (part of Windows Essentials)
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/essentials-other-programs
    http://www.outlook.com

12. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

http://www.emclient.com/

I haven't used that, exactly... I use an old beta version, because it's free and with no restrictions. Now the full version is payware and the free, if it's still there has limitations in number of accounts i think.

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I agree, I can pay my ISP to get access to the internet.
    But we can't pay for every singel service out there, some services needs to be AD powered so users can access them for free, like Youtube for example.

And yes Outlook.com isn't really that bad I think. :thumb:

14. jo3blac1

They are... not me. I vehemently refuse subscription based anything except for death and taxes.

15. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

16. acr1965

17. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I m not sure, but i believe 1 email account.

P.S.: I would like to underline that Microsoft's Outlook is excellent product, as all Redmond's products and makes Ballmer proud. Talking about alternatives is ungracious.

18. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The free version of eM client is limited to 2 email accounts. I didn't know the eM client is the same one that comes with SoftMaker Office. :)

19. jo3blac1

So what is the difference between eM Client and eM Proffesional by Softmaker? Are they the same company?

20. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Nothing ungracious at all. Looking at the new approach they are trying to force me into is what I feel is ungracious. I for one am glad to see alternatives.

Pete

21. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Thunderbird or The Bat for a Windows based system.

Thunderbird is the only client I can get to sync IMAP properly with Gmail. With Outlook when I sent an email it would only show up in Outlooks sent folder. It never showed up in Gmails sent folder. Same thing for trash. If I deleted an email from Outlook it would show up locally, but not in the trash in Gmail. It would just be gone. I also like the fact that I can configure Avast to scan Thunderbird email traffic to quarantine incoming and outgoing attachments. I can physically see emails that are scanned within Avast and change the subject of an email with a warning appropriately.

Having email on my phone and using an email client syncing properly is important.

I used eM Client for a very long time and recommended it anywhere I could. However after a few hours I would randomly lose connection to Gmail's server and would have to manually do a send/receive to re-sync and start getting emails again. I havent used it in quite some time so I dont know if this issue has been fixed. I also really dislike the fact that they blatantly lie in their comparison against other email clients. Having used most of them in the comparison Thunderbird does fully sync with Gmail and they claim it doesnt. Thunderbird also integrates Facebook chat, Google+ chat, etc. They claim it doesnt.

22. acr1965

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

So true... this is my feeling as well..

24. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

25. acr1965

What is equal to or better is a subjective opinion. I'm sure there are some people who feel there are no equal to or better free alternatives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.