Microsoft OS Serial Number Changer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by acimorelli, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acimorelli

acimorelli Guest

I have images made using TI to replicate numerous machines. After imaging, I run NewSid to change a machine name and SID. Machines work great.
    Enter problem number 1.
    All Dell computers have a Windows OS (W2K or XP) serial number on the case.
    Is there a tool that will allow a quick serial number replace much the same as NewSid does for computer name and SID?
    I want something fast that I can push out without having to wait forever to run sysprep and waste a lot of time.
    Any vendors make a product that will do that?

Problem 2 - Is there any way to write a script that TI will use to automatically use an image on a self bootable DVD? Maybe using a redirect caret, registry entry, or something? I already have everything working as outlined by wdormann. Anyone play with any keystroking batch programs that might do this?

Thanks.

2. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

To change the Windows key by script:

Code:
    ON ERROR RESUME NEXT

if Wscript.arguments.count<1 then
       Wscript.echo "Script can't run without VolumeProductKey argument"
       Wscript.echo "Correct usage: Cscript ChangeVLKey.vbs ABCDE-FGHIJ-KLMNO-PRSTU-WYQZX"
       Wscript.quit
    end if

Dim VOL_PROD_KEY
    VOL_PROD_KEY = Wscript.arguments.Item(0)
    VOL_PROD_KEY = Replace(VOL_PROD_KEY,"-","") 'remove hyphens if any

for each Obj in GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}").InstancesOf ("win32_WindowsProductActivation")

result = Obj.SetProductKey (VOL_PROD_KEY)

if err <> 0 then
          WScript.Echo Err.Description, "0x" & Hex(Err.Number)
          Err.Clear
       end if

Next
    Save the above code as ChangeVLKey.vbs

Then here is a cmd file to change the key:

Code:
    ChangeVLKey.vbs XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
    save as changekey.cmd

3. acimorelli

acimorelli Guest

I tried that but get an object required 0x1a8. I search the registry but don't find any keys to change.

4. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Yes, basically I was wrong. That code is for changing the Volume License Key. You are looking at the OEM key. Let me try to correct myself. It's my understanding that you don't need to change the key on Dells to match the sticker and in fact that they don't match from the factory. I have (in the past) used the same image on many Dell's and not bothered with the license key with no ill effects as long as the SID and computer name were changed. Sorry for the bad info above, I'm getting old and stupid just a little too fast.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  5. acimorelli

acimorelli Guest

That is what we have found also. My concern lies in the new authentication program Microsoft has - if too many hits on a specific key are found, they could rule it as non-authentic and next time you run an update, it gets rejected. We have the real keys on the machine, but are trying to use True Image to do the cloning. I really don't want to fool with Sysprep - it adds error to a mechanical process. Since we are donating these to schools, we don't want the burden on them.

6. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.