Microsoft OneCare Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dan_maran, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I have just been invited to the MS OneCare beta and will try to keep this board updated with its features.
    You may learn more and apply for the beta at:
    http://beta.windowsonecare.com/

2. dan_maran

I just wanted to make sure that others outside the US now that this is only for US customers as of right now.

3. .....

..... Registered Member

I looked at it earlier.... stupid MS not allowing Non-US residents test. (i really wonder why this is the case?).

However likuidkewl, do keep us updated.

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

...Yes. Please do and thanks for the effort.

Wilders, your one stop spot for security app reviews and news! ;)

5. wow, it says that it is an antivirus/firewall solution.

hmm...Think it's worth it?

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i too have been invited to this beta. im not entirely sure what it is but since it related to security, im interested. when will beta testing start anyways?

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

No thank you. I don't want anything that AUTOMATICALLY updates, screws around with my computer, etc. This new service is for average users who don't have the time or want to learn about their computers. It will probably be great for them but I don't even have auto updates turned on (disabled permanently on my computer) and I will not be using the new MBSA ver. 2.0 because it requires that WU be turned on. I don't use WU either. I read the security bulletins each month and then download the ones I want from MS download site.

So, I think this OneCare is fine for a certain group of users. I am not one of them though.

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

why dont u like the convenience of automatic updates? could it rele pose that much of a security threat? without WU, how do u know which updates u need?

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Websites, like http://www.softwarepatch.com, and the latest Microsoft Security Bulletins published at MSDN and other sites......:doubt:

I personally dont use Windows update myself, and rely on websites for security patches :)

10. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Useful link firecat, thanks

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I receive the MS Security Bulletins in email from Technet. Anyone can subscribe to them. My ISP (Road Runner) blocks all mail from Microsoft newletters and bulletins (as spam) so I had to subscribe using my dslr email address. You can also go here and get the latest bulletins, register for the June webcast devoted to discussing the details of the bulletins, etc. You can download all patches from the individual bulletins.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/default.mspx

I also learn about the the latest patches from the the official post by a Microsoft employee each month in the Security forum at dslr. You can go to the forum Tuesday and you'll see the thread.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/security

Another way to learn what patches you need is to use either Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer or Belarc Advisor especially if you have XP Pro. Both are free. MBSA is undergoing major revision and the new version (out in about a month) will utilize WU. The current version doesn't.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx

Belarc Advisor will scan your computer and, if XP Pro, will give you a security rating and for all computers will tell you what security patches you are missing or if ones you have are corrupted and need to be reinstalled. It will give you a direct link to the Microsoft Bulletin for the patch and you can read about it and download from there. Belarc also gives you lots more information about your computer. It is great!
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

You are bound to a non-disclosure agreement when you beta test for Microsoft. I am in a beta right now and we cannot discuss anything about it outside the beta NG. So, unless there is something different about this beta, you will be violating confidentialty agreements if you disclose anything here. You are not even supposed to tell anyone what you are beta testing.

13. dan_maran

*Nevermind*

14. Stephanos G.

And how microsoft will find out who is who and who is violating the disclosure? Also, noone can prohibit the freedom of speech by issuing disclosures. I think that is MS that is violate the law. My advice is to feel free to talk about this product.

15. rothko

rothko Registered Member

it's down to the administrators of this board to decide what can and can't be discussed. hopefully it will be allowed as it is of interest to most people in here, but if not then, hey-ho...

16. Stephanos G.

Noone said that is prohibited to talk about MS OneCare. Do you know any other company that has set this kind of restrictions to their products? Only Microsoft is clever enough for this :D

17. rothko

rothko Registered Member

no problems with talking about the product, it's just the disclosing of beta related info from the beta testers that may be restricted on here.

18. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Well i have to tell you that beta testing Microsoft software is indeed private and confidential and therefor this thread is now closed
    Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.