Microsoft offers reward to catch virus distributors

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by optigrab, Nov 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I wonder if they are serious about it or if it is a publicity stunt. I am sure they would pay the reward . But curious about their motive. o_O

3. AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster Registered Member

:( Oh joy, more Internet Police! :D Just what we need...

4. rodzilla

rodzilla Registered Member

Since VicodinES began "co-operating with the FBI" / "snitching on his friends" (depending on your viewpoint) virus coders have become guarded and insular, and the days when "who coded what" was bandied about in email and on IRC have gone forever.

"Elite" virus coders and trusted AVers with access to virus-related chatrooms knew Chen Ing-Hau and Onel de Guzman were the authors of CIH and Love Letter respectively long before they were interviewed by the authorities ... those guys talked about their creations to their fellow coders ... but the authors of LovSan and Sobig still remain tight-lipped and unknown to this day.

Sure, Microsoft's offer of huge bounties might lead to the capture of a few of the (despised by real virus coders) "script kiddies" and "lamers" ... but current trends indicate that the guys and girls who code serious viruses will simply go further underground.

I personally think Microsoft could have put $5,000,000 to better use investigating and plugging maliciously-exploitable holes in their own operating systems ... but five million bucks is only lunch money to Microsoft, so I guess they can afford it.

5. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Interesting post Rodzilla, thanks!

6. AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster Registered Member

;) FYI...

Experts, IT managers say Microsoft should forget bounty, focus on security

http://computerworld.com/printthis/2003/0,4814,86869,00.html
    NOV 05, 2003
    "..."I hate to see software vendors diverting their management attention and money toward rewards programs, because rewards programs work only after the damage has been done," Pescatore said. "I would rather see them put the same money and attention on making their software safer in the first place," he said..."

(My note: Amen to that...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.