Microsoft.NET Framework

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Carver, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I am doing a little "Spring Cleaning" with Revo uninstaller, I found a old collection of Microsoft Visual 2005 Redistributable (6 in all) and Microsoft.NET Framwork 1.1 through 4. I deleted all the Microsoft Visual Redistributable except the last version and the Microsoft.Net Framework 1.1 then I decided to check the Windows update website for any new updates. Microsoft.net was listed a optional update. Now my Question is do I need all the versions of Mirosoft Visual and all the versions of Microsoft.net or only the last version of each.

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Deleting VC++ versions is not the best idea around. Many apps require those "outdated" (2005, 200:cool: ones and will not work with 2010. Worse yet, when they do not find those, they will install their bundled version (which often does not include the security patches.)

Wrt the .NET junk, 1.1 is pretty much safe to uninstall. Would not oersonally touch others, definitely not 3.5, since v4 is just a subset of the entire cruft's functionality.

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Thank you.

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

When aplications star using new runtimes, they will install them, but they will not uninstall old and it is allways a good idea to get rid of old (it could also cause compatibility problems like crashing, though uninstalling can cause the same, if they are needed) and most likely exploitable runtimes. I also did uninstalling and found out, that LibreOffice needs Visual C++2008, ATI Control Panel C++ 2010 and Logitech's Setpoint NET Framework 4 Client only, so I got rid of Extended Profile and old NET Frameworks, C++ 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.