Microsoft.NET Framework version 1.1

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by spy1, Feb 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Is there a known issue between this and ProcessGuard?

I just tried to install it here (it was necessary for a program I wanted to test) and - even though I had "Disable All Protection" checked in PG, the whole system went belly-up when I did the re-start after the MNFv1.1 install.

Blue-screened me with the "serious problem with Windows" etc. message, referenced the PG something-or-other. Had to re-boot to "Safe" mode, kill something that was apparently still running related to PG and then un-install PG to get my computer back on.

Of course, the question now is - is the computer going to go belly-up if I install PG again?

Anyone running both MNFv1.1 and PG merrily side-by-side? Pete

2. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I had the .NET Framework 1.1 installed on my WinXP Pro SP-1 system, along with PG 1.200. I had stability issues with it (mainly freezes; no BSODs). I don't think that .NET had anything to do with it in my case, based on what Jason has said in this forum in response to my problem reports. I think my issues were all due to PG itself.

3. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

I have MS Net Frame 1.1.4322 (latest verision) installed on Windows XP-xsps2 Home and have not experienced any problems. It was already installed at the time I installed the first PG 1.0.

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Allllllllllllllllrighty, then! Enough of that nonsense, already. I've un-installed both MNFv1.1 and the program I was attempting to test. Still getting fatal exceptions during shut-downs.

That's okay, I didn't have anything to do tomorrow anyway. Pete

5. nameless

I'd save a copy of pguard.dat, then see if the problem occurs after uninstalling Process Guard.

6. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

You might try going into SAFE Mode and removing Process Guard to see if that clears up the BSOD. If it clears it up, re-install Net Frame, rerun MS update to see if there may be other updates that need installing after Net Frame. If the BSOD is not there, re-install your test program and assure that it works, then install the new PG 1.30 that is suppose to be out today. Just thinkin' as to what might save you some hours. :p

I have some "indications" that it is best to Disable PG, then reboot with it disabled before adding software that installs drivers or other system sensitive things. Net Frame even adds a new user's account and lord knows what else.

7. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I also have the .NET framework installed on the machine Process Guard is developed on, no problems at all. I don't think I installed the .NET framework whilst PG was on my machine though, but as long as you disable protection whilst doing the install it should work fine.

-Jason-

8. Whynot

Whynot Registered Member

Hi, I've a fully patched and updated XP Pro - including .net I uninstalled the free version, which had no problems, and updated to the full version. So far no problems ;)

9. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Just a quick update:

My HD expired.

The problems I experienced were probably all related to that. Computer hasn't come back up since then (using the computer in our apartments "computer room").

Hopefully, I'll be back after I get a new HD (probably this weekend - assuming that putting in a new HD is a piece of cake! <g>). Pete

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Pete, Sorry to hear that :( Adding to the others comments, I run .Net on both XP and Server 2003 with no problems so far.

11. Whynot

Whynot Registered Member

This post is not directly related to PG but your OS problems SPY1. XP appears to be more sensitive than previous versions of NT concerning the boot partition, ntldr "corruption", and CRC redundancy checking. If your BSOD gave you stop 0x7 error messages I'd suggest this was related to hardware problem. Why do I think XP is more "sensitive" - I have an IBM HD that I can install any MS OS I like - including Server2003 - without a hiccup, but XP - no way no how. Ain't computers wonderful. ;)

12. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Whynot - Hi! And thanks for the info. My old HD had been failing for some time (confirmed by both Aida32 and BelArc Advisor - messages of imminent doom from the S.M.A.R.T report feature of both).

Since I didn't have anything worth saving, I just rode the old one into the ground (Pete likes to get his money's worth!).

And (like a good security-freak should), I took the old HD to work with me and ran it over the industrial-strength degausser we have there about thirty times (until it was too hot to hold even with gloves on), put it in the press (a mere thirty tons of flattening), carried it to the bandsaw and cut it into four pieces and put each piece in a separate dumpster outside the plant.

Always dispose of old HD's properly. Pete

13. tech-addict

tech-addict Registered Member

:D I got a chuckle out of that one :D
    I just use some freeze spray and a hammer, disc platters end up in a thousand tiny little pieces!
    ;)

14. nameless

A propane torch would have been equally effective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.