Microsoft killed the start button because it wasn't used

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Source.

2. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

I still use the Start Button on everything...I don't want to have a desktop full of icons.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2012
  3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I have a desktop full of icons & I still want the Start Button. ;)

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Which is worse, that they're lying or they actually believe their own BS?

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

How do they take into account the opinions of all the people who have not agreed to be part of the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program?

6. Daveski17

My guess; cosmic telepathy. ;)

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I think they may have a real problem with a closed feedback loop. It's easy to isolate so that you only hear people telling you what you want to hear. It is going to be interesting when "8" hits the street and the larger public who haven't been inoculated by the hype weigh in.

8. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

It looks like MS are trying to convince themselves, Oh well not long left until we find out exactly what the general public think of Windows 8.

9. guest

guest Guest

Agreed.

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

This is so true is so many environments. People are surrounded by mis-informants who spin the numbers to please their bosses. Other times, only one side of a story is presented or dissenting views are censored. And the irony of it all is the sanctimonious air of those who are actually damaging the reputation and prospects of the company whose products they hype day in and out.
    Reminds me of a mix of 1984 and Atlas Shrugged.

11. guest

guest Guest

Data does not lie. Microsoft was seeing on their end via the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program in which 90%+ of its customers participate.

12. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I'm expecting Vista-style issues. The one advantage 8 will have is that Microsoft will ensure that the hardware requirements aren't toally botched like they were for Vista.

But the biggest issues with Vista, the issues that have persisted even after the compatibility issues were solved, are things that just 'annoyed' users like UAC or a new UI - a UI that wasn't even radically different, only purely different.

Windows 8 is going to have those same issues.

13. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I use the start menu for two thing's...

Control Panel

Administrative Tools (Custom selected by choice)

Other than that, I do not use the start menu for anything else. If I need to open something, I navigate my programs through custom Jumplists instead.

Even though this new Start screen in Windows 8 is the new start menu replacement, I think it looks too crowded and clunky for a desktop experience (My opinion). Now for tablets, I think it'll work out quite well.

Even though I don't use my start menu as much as the average day person, I think the start menu still plays it's useful role and shouldn't have been taken out of Windows 8 (Yet again...My Opinion).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  14. guest

guest Guest

You are misinterpreting things. Vista wasn't as well welcomed as 7 because of initial compatibility issues AND performance issues. At first, Vista was SLOWER than its predecessor. 7 was FASTER.

Windows 8 doesn't have compatibility/performance issues: in fact, it has improvements in every area compared to 7. Windows 8 is FASTER.

As for Metro, most people will end up adopting it and loving it.

The fact that some Wilders' members that absolutely love every remote opportunity to attack Microsoft, are complaining about Windows 8 and ridiculing Metro (some of them without even testing Windows 8 and Metro), definitely won't change the warm reception it will have from the public.

Wait and see.

15. Hungry Man

Pretty sure I've defended both Microsoft and Windows 8 enough.

This is what I'm saying to you. I think you're calling it a success before it's out - you underestimate just how little people care about performance and security and how much they dislike change.

16. guest

guest Guest

You can customize it.

17. Tyrizian

When it comes to my OS that I am using, I am a super neat freak and organized. Even though the Windows 8 start screen can be customized, I still think it's too clunky and crowded on a desktop experience, compared to what I'm using at the moment. But, since I do adapt to new changes quite fast, I might upgrade if I can afford it.

18. guest

guest Guest

I understand you. But I have a somewhat deep frustration with the Start menu that can't be easily described. For example, I hate the fact that I have to waste time navigating in various menus that can disappear with one single miss-click outside the small 10x10 pixel boxes. Vista and 7 improved at this, I know, but the boxes are still too small. That's one of the reasons why I'm absolutely in love with the new Start screen introduced at Windows 8.

19. Tyrizian

I'm not knocking Microsoft for these new changes, but I do feel that they should have made the experience a lot more universal for users.

By universal I mean...More options and customization (Choices)

Examples:

1. An option to custom select between start screen or classic start menu.

2. An option to custom select between the new Windows 8 look and the old Windows 7 look (Windows Explorer, Control Panel, Task Manager, etc.)

20. guest

guest Guest

I think this will still be possible with apps like Start8. I doubt Microsoft will really remove every possibility despite some rumors.

Windows Explorer now has a Ribbon (which is great), and it comes minimized by default. The old Control Panel is still accessible, just like the new Metro styled one. Task Manager was vastly improved but the overall experience is pretty similar - only better.

21. Daveski17

Yes, but that's just it isn't it? MS are trying to force this hybrid onto the market to promote Surface sales. They are convinced the traditional desktop & laptop are dead. Or more likely, MS are trying to convince the consumer & Joe Public that this is true, whether it is or not.

The two options you have mentioned above sound very logical & welcome to me.

I have a feeling that it is their ultimate marketing strategy & plan that has precluded them from doing something as sensible as adding the two options that you have mentioned above.

They may change their mind if its sales are not so hot.

22. Hungry Man

The mistake with Windows 8 is not having a 'Classic Windows' mode. It's fine for Windows 9 not to but this is a radical change... I can't see users adjusting easily.

23. Tyrizian

I do like the new changes, I just think it should have been executed a bit better. But, I do get what you're saying.

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Really SPP, what do you base this belief on? I'm a field tech and my customers are average users. Their skills are very limited. A simple change such as the Windows 7 Start Menu not having "fly out" menus like XP means those folks often don't know how to find their program folders. You could say that most people ended up adopting and loving Vista (which is what "7" actually is), but look at the debacle and how long it took. To this day there are people who have bitter memories of their experience with Vista.

FWIW I'm not one of these folks. I've been an early adopter of every MS OS since Windows 95, and my opinions about Windows 8 RP are based on running it in a VM.

25. Tyrizian

As a user, I want a choice, and I assume that a lot of people want the same. But, to be honest though...I don't think Microsoft will implement these features. If anything like that is implemented, I think it will be through a third party app.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.