Microsoft joins The Linux Foundation as a Platinum member

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by ronjor, Nov 16, 2016.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Emil Protalinski November 16, 2016 7:32 AM

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Sure would love to be a "fly on the wall" in the room where that decision was made.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

4. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Uh oh.

5. Secondmineboy

Secondmineboy Registered Member

Why UH OH?

6. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Quoting a Phoronix user:

Meanwhile at the Redmond Headquarters:

"Gentleman who can tell me how to best destroy an enemy? It's from inside!"

<Cue dramatic music>

7. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Quoting another member:

8. Secondmineboy

Best thing you can do: Code your own OS!!!!!

9. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

This is very unreasonable.

10. Secondmineboy

Or just get over with the fact that MS is on a better position than the private person in todays world.

11. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

What private person?

In the last 6-7 years, most Microsoft's decisions were questionable at best, most of their problems were easily avoidble.

12. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Sad, but it sounds true.

13. Anonfame1

Anonfame1 Registered Member

Admittedly without any rationality, this was my immediate response to the thread title.

Given Windows 10 and the deplorable pushing of it, telemetry backported to other Windows variants, their past stance towards Linux, the complicity with government, their selling of "anonymous" data to third-party ad-networks, their selling of operating system space for advertising, their monopoly over the consumer PC market, and their completely closed approach to software development- given all these things, I dont trust Microsoft at all. Corporations dont do anything for the public good- they are motivated solely by one thing: money. This is a financial move- they have a strategy and you can bet given their current place in the market, they are interested in nothing but destroying or containing the threat that Linux can become. At this point, Linux is seeing tons of new users- people are starting to get uncomfortable with corporations and governments they dont control, and these governments/corps are engaging in damage control strategies to maintain their power/profits.

If Microsoft really starts in with their crap, I'll switch to OpenBSD. It pains me to say this because I've been a Linux fan for a long while now..

14. quietman

quietman Registered Member

What's best for MS and what's best for everyone else are usually polar opposites .
    I used to think exactly that ..... but these days I see it as some kind of megalomania .

I started getting clued-up on OpenBSD a few months ago but not from any vision of the future , simply because it is out there ....

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  15. guest

guest Guest

Very True.

As Morpheus said: "Welcome to the real world"

And i say : people are enslaved walking wallets, your opinion worth only the amount of cash you have, "freedom" as you knows it is just an illusion to keep you in line.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2016
  16. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Guys, I doubt there is a sinister move here to destroy Linux from within. Windows vs Linux in-fighting is so retro now. That's not the battle. Microsoft is telegraphing the current battleground by who they are placing on the board... "John Gossman, architect on the Microsoft Azure team". The battle is now Azure vs AWS. It's all who can become the server-side developer's best friend and can give the Fortune 500 the best reason to host their cloud infrastructure on their platform. As xxJackxx pointed out this ties in with the SQL Server Preview for Unbuntu & Red Hat, as well as the announcement of Visual Studio for the Mac. Win developers over, recruit cloud server & storage customers.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  17. guest

guest Guest

Indeed, just another move in the battle for market shares.

18. Anonfame1

Anonfame1 Registered Member

No thats a legitimate argument for sure. I mean corporations want money so that corporate shareholders and CEOs/boardmembers can have money.. but money itself is only desired because its an instrument of societal power. Power is the root motivation of governmental and corporate interest, and in many ways is the driving force even of individuals in society.

Megalomania certainly fits the bill of many monied interests.
    Perhaps, and maybe its a symbiotic relationship at this point (LF gets money, MS gets whatever it gets); suffice to say however I will every so often be researching their involvement closely. If I dont like what I see, OpenBSD (that even rhymes :cool:)

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

20. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.